Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Fallen Angels and HAppy Together: reviews wanted

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Fallen Angels and HAppy Together: reviews wanted

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-99, 06:23 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody seen these two dvd's? there are two from kino video for the american release and one from ocean shores and one from mei- ah> Wong Kar-Wai is my favorite director (he made quentin tarantino cry) Has anyone seen all the versions and have compared them with their hong kong counterparts? I'm thinking of getting the Kino dvd's but not without an opinion
Old 12-21-99, 06:36 PM

Haven't seen the Kino discs though I've heard they're better than the HK versions.

Here's a review of the Kino discs courtesy of The Digital Bits.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...waiseries.html
Old 12-21-99, 07:00 PM
Cool New Member

i bought both of the US releases from Image Entertainment after checking reviews of the HK discs at:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~muldoon/hk/

the Image discs have decent video transfers, are letterboxed (non-anamorphic), and use new video-generated subtitles that are very legible. for some reason, Image chose to print these subtitles on to the video transfer itself, rather than making them optional. the HK releases have the smaller theatrical Chinese/English subtitles.

the HK discs don't have any extras. the US ones are just a little better, each with 12 chapter stops plus one additional stop for the film's international trailer.
Old 12-24-99, 08:43 PM
sumesh

I first bought the two HK versions. The most irritating fact about the Fallen Angels is that the Ocean Shore watermark pops up through the film. The matting is 1.66 on both versions. One problem with the Kino version is that the colors have been warmed up, so instead of a green/blue film it is now orange/amber. Also, the subtitles have a transparent black box around them which is unneccesary and distracting. I would say, though, to stick with the Kino.

With Happy Together, I think the Kino version is far superior in terms of contrast. The HK version is washed out while the Kino version has some nice depth to it.

As a side note, unless you love the film (as I do), stay away from the terrible DVD transfer of Ashes of Time. Wong Kar-Wei must not have been happy with that.