DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted--Entrapment

Old 11-24-99, 12:03 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect that Catherine ZJ in her cat suit is probably reason enough to buy this DVD--but I'm interested in whether the film has any other merits.
Old 11-24-99, 12:49 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Absolutely none. Don't get me wrong, Ms. Zeta-Jones is eye-candy extraordinaire, but her character/performance is so grating, after the first 30 minutes, you wish she (and everyone else associated with this bloated bore of a film) would just disappear. Many people think THE AVENGERS was Sean Connery's low moment. Wrong--it's ENTRAPMENT. Avoid this one like the plague.
Old 11-24-99, 10:12 PM
GetShorty

Buy the new Thomas Crown Affair, it is everything Entrapment wanted to be and more. Entrapment is a 2/2.5 out of 4 star movie while Thomas Crown Affair is 3.5 stars or even more out of 4.

[This message has been edited by GetShorty (edited 11-29-1999).]
Old 11-25-99, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Without a doubt, Ms. Zeta-Jones was a good enough reason for me to buy this DVD . . . I like the way she moves through the lasers in that tight black outfit . . . AAAAA YEAH!!!

Not only that, when I saw this in the theaters, I was thoroughly entertained by it. If this is your type of movie, than there is a good chance you'll enjoy the film.
Old 11-25-99, 04:53 AM

I enjoyed it until the last 10 minutes. I had trouble accepting that last twist. If you saw the film I think you know the one I mean. There was just one too many FBI agents.
Old 11-25-99, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I just watched the movie last night and I recoomend strongly against buying it on DVD... you definately have to rent this film first, because personally I thought for what the movie was trying to do, there were just too many plot holes and improbabilities (i will not spoil anything but believe me, and the ending just topped it off).. rent, but stay away from a purchase unless you can get it for the price of a rental..

J
Old 11-28-99, 03:57 PM
MrCockrell

I Liked It Man!!!

------------------
My DVD List

Old 11-29-99, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I too enjoyed this film. It's not exactly believable, but that's fine with me, it's still a good, fun ride. I enjoy many films in which Sean Connery and Ving Rhames appear, and Catherine Zeta-Jones is great as well. This movie has good chemistry, interesting action, and some plot twists. No, its not a great movie, it fits easily into a traditional Hollywood film these days (big stars, big money, little meaning), yet I found it enjoyable. I'm buying it, though I'm still waiting for it to arrive as we speak.

------------------
I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Old 11-29-99, 01:30 PM

This was the worst movie of the year. Absolutely pathetic. Yeah, Zeta-Jones looked good in the scene with the lasers, but the terrible music and her WAY too loud breathing made it so annoying as to be laughably unwatchable.

Bottom line_ , it sucked.
Old 11-29-99, 07:23 PM

I liked the movie. But was severely dissappointed that it was not anamorphic as it was supposed to be. Is it just me or has Fox let us down with another overpriced movie-only disc?
Old 12-01-99, 04:32 PM

I paid $3.50 for this movie (sight unseen) and IMO it was not worth a penny more than that. Yes, Catherine is one hot hot toddie, but come on, the movie was just barely entertaining (not to mention the thin plot). Another thing, no anamorphic transfer, no extras to speak of, RENT, DO NOT BUY this disc.
Old 12-01-99, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the movie was "ok". Which means I pretty much agree with poppa-whatshisface.. It was worth about $3.50 -- a rental in my case.

Old 12-04-99, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Saw it last night and was prepared for the worst. I ended up liking it. I could see why some were not thrilled, but with the dreck out there it certainly was worth a watch. I bought and will probably keep.

------------------
Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD Tracker list

Old 12-04-99, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this in the theater and thought it was
pretty good. Just got done watching it on
DVD and now I think it was a bit better.

I think it gains a little watching it at
home. definitely worth a rental.

Jason
Old 12-04-99, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

jasonbird . . . I agree!!!

Don't you just love DVDs . . . they can enhance the viewing experience . . . I love my home theater!!!
Old 12-05-99, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just watched this earlier tonight and I'd say if you're interested in seeing it rent before you buy. It was mindless entertainment and I'm not going to say it's the best movie of the year or anything, but I usually detest 'action' flicks and thought "Entrapment" was mostly fun. And I went into it thinking it would be pretty bad.

I won't be buying it, but I don't regret renting it as I found it to hold my attention (even though I figured out what was revealed at the end almost right away), something most entries in that genre fail to do.

--Heather
Old 12-05-99, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't waste your money buying it--it's not good. Don't waste your time watching it, either. Life's too short.
Old 12-08-99, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Rental....

------------------
N2DVD 'cause may license plate says so!
Old 12-11-99, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As shocking as this may be for long time readers of this forum, I'm going to agree with DVDer.

It may simply be because I saw the film after an exhausting day of watching bad movies, but I really enjoyed Entrapment. It is not a uniformly great film, but it does have a few sublime moments, mostly due to Sean Connery--who is the true auteur of the film. I got the sense of him trying to wrap things up and comment on his film persona. The film also has a nice sense of the perverse, which is sorely lacking in films today. However, I didn't pay much attention to the plot of the flim, which probably helped my opinion. Also, I haven't rewatched the film since it left theaters so I'm not sure how well it "holds up."

As far as Miss Cathy Jones goes, having never seen her in movie before this one, I assumed she would be sexy. While she is a comely woman, I didn't find her particularly "sexy." Maybe she just needs better directors.

------------------
"If it were all in the script, why make the film?"--Nicholas Ray

Old 12-11-99, 12:29 PM

Definitely worth it to me. I like the movie and CZ-J a**! Wish it were anamorphic though.
Old 12-15-99, 08:27 PM

I thought the movie was pretty bad. Catherine Zeta-Jones sucking up to Sean Connery was only slightly more believable than Sharon Stone pining over Dustin Hoffman in Sphere. In other words, no chemistry(it's not an age thing, as I found there to be lots of chemistry in "In the Line of Fire"). The plot, as discussed above, is pretty stupid and unoriginal--the only slightly interesting parts were (a) the Catherine Zeta-Jones laser-butt scene and (b) the final heist (which ended up getting pretty lame too). The acting was standard fare for this type of film, which is to say unimpressive. The script was pretty bad. And there wasn't really any style to the directing either.

All in all: 1.5 stars out of 4.

Thomas Crown is a better film, but not exactly great either. I'd give Thomas Crown Affair 2.5 stars for (a) better chemistry, (b) better plot/twists and (c) being slightly more stylish (heck, at least it was directed by McTiernan--Die Hard, Predator, Hunt for Red October) and original (having not seen the original...heh).

--Apparition
Old 12-16-99, 01:20 AM
Suspended

This movie was ok....i rented it and will not purchase it. Great picture and decent sound though.
Old 12-16-99, 04:31 PM
Cool New Member

Apparition: While I ended up liking the movie a little more than you did, I have to give credit where credit is due: cheers for the best turn of phrase I've seen in a while: All hail "the Katherine Zeta-Jones laser-butt scene"!! Very well said.
Old 12-20-99, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ill buy it as soon as i see a good deal on it. I saw this in the movies and in Mann Premier i got CZJ, Sean, and Ving to sign my movie poster. Im in to spy movies and while this isnt the BEST spy movie i loved it none the less. Its worth it if you get a good deal. but NOT for $30+ and yes. Catherines @$$ is quite nice
Old 12-20-99, 03:41 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Incredibly overpriced dvd which is pretty damm boring. Echo comments above re Catherine zeta jones, she rocks ! interesting i saw the game the same nite as i saw entrapment. What the f**k is she doing with a crinkly like douglas ? when she could have a smooth body like myself ? oh well such are life's puzzles