Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Farewell My Concubine

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Farewell My Concubine

Old 12-11-99, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering if any of you has got their hands on miramax new release? It is good?

Thanks!
Old 12-13-99, 08:09 PM
Cool New Member

i just got the disc today and here are my impressions after a quick spin on a DVD-ROM.

- full uncut version (172 minutes, RSDL)
- letterboxed 1.85:1 aspect ratio
- Mandarin soundtrack (Dolby 2.0)
- optional English subtitles or closed captions

the compression is solid, preserving the colors of the original. the contrast seems just a tad low, but that may be due to the PC monitor i'm using.

Miramax skimped on the extras, not even the theatrical trailer (there is enough room left on the disc).

Old 12-14-99, 03:55 PM

And it's not anamorphic either.

But I'm glad to have it on DVD in any fashion. Highly recommended for fans of foreign films.

Now if only someone would release Chen Kaige's Yellow Earth on DVD...
Old 12-14-99, 05:46 PM
Cool New Member

If anyone's interested in the differences between the domestic and international cuts of the film, I've compiled a list at http://www.imsa.edu/~leda/cinerev/farewell-delta.html ... (warning, contains spoilers if you haven't seen the film)
Old 12-14-99, 08:07 PM
Cool New Member

virelai: nice job on the version differences. i referred to an abridged list at the IMDB (probably submitted by you) after receiving the Miramax release.

on point 16, when Xiao Si is confronted by the red guards, the lead guard is not delivering a summon per se. rather, he brandishes his Little Red Book and with that, sets Xiao Si up as an counterrevolutionary.

additional impressions: Miramax adapted a new script translation with this US DVD release. it takes some necessary cultural liberties, but the resulting dialog is very natural and reads quite well - well, in Yuan Shiqing's case, his Chinese diction is exceptionally refined and should not be likened to the speech of a commoner.

also, the Peony Pavilion and two other non-Farewell opera performances are not translated.

returning to the video qualities, the colors looks great: vibrantly decadent in the "old society," stark and neutral in the new. i have not seen the Ocean Shores double disc release, but thankfully, i now have no reason to.
Old 12-15-99, 02:08 AM
Cool New Member

jwang: Thanks for the information. Yes, the Hong Kong release was a pretty sorry set of DVDs. I just got the Miramax version in the mail and I'll be sure to update my review.