Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Cary Grant: Artisan 2DVD set

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Cary Grant: Artisan 2DVD set

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-99, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you seen the new Artisan 2DVD set of Cary Grant films -- Father Goose and That Touch of Mink -- and can post a review here? And are these widescreen presentations? I've seen these listed as being 1.33 (Amazon), 1.85 (DVD Express), and 2.35 (on Artisan VHS). Good trick. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by John DVDz (edited 12-08-1999).]
Old 12-09-99, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have them but haven't watched them yet.
They're both 1.85

------------------
Rand
Old 12-10-99, 06:30 AM

I watched Father Goose and found the picture quality to be the best i've ever seen of this film and it is widescreen. No real extras to speak of though.

------------------
"Would you like to see me take him, mrs. Charles?"

My Collection

Old 12-10-99, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"They're both 1.85"

I've only watched "That Touch of Mink", but it is definitely wider than 1.85:1. Picture quality was very good -- a bit soft at points and the color seems a bit off at times, but overall the best I've ever seen it.

If you're going to buy this set, shop around. They originally announced it at $25 and then changed the price to $30. Many online stores are still discounting off the original $25 retail...
Old 12-10-99, 10:20 PM
ed

This is a very nice set. In mid November I picked this up for $7.94 delivered from Amazon with a $10 Coupon. You may want to check with Amazon, since it was originally priced at $14.99 there.

Follow-up:

Amazon has raised the price to $19.98, plus shipping. Purchase it at DVDwave.com for $14.99, with FREE shipping.

[This message has been edited by ed (edited 12-11-1999).]
Old 12-13-99, 01:31 PM

Having purchased and veiwed the Cary Grant set I can now say that I don't understand Artisan's presentation.

FATHER GOOSE is presented truncated around 1.85 and THAT TOUCH OF MINK is close to 2.35. Both are mono. Neither is 16x9 enhanced.

FG starts outs with the main titles presented 2.35 before zooming in for the full film. Why this was done is a mystery. Despite the horizontal cropping, the compositions are still pretty good. But if it had been presented full scope and if I wanted 1.85 all I would have to do is is click one notch on my player's zoom button. So -- what gives Artisan?

Tech stuff aside, GF looks great and is a pleasure to watch. This a FUN film to have and watch and enjoy. It won the 1965 Oscar for Best Screenplay and was nominated by Golden Globes for Best Picture. It deserved both. This one's a gem. One of Grant's best films and a great comedy. Period.

TTOM, by comparison, is pure fluff. Good fluff, but fluff nonetheless. The film looks like it could use some restoration work in places but overall looks good -- despite that overall studio lighting of the period.

Both have brief bios and filmographies. TTOM has a trailer. That's it.