Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review: South Park - Bigger, Longer, Uncut

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review: South Park - Bigger, Longer, Uncut

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-99, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Movie synopsis:

Basically, this is very similar to another South Park episode involving Terrence and Phillip. Terrence and Phillip are foul-mouthed fart-joke telling comedians from Canada. They produce a movie called "Asses On Fire", a R-rated movie that the four South Park kids manage to see. Parents get upset, to the point to where a war escalates between Canada and US. Can Kyle, Stan, Kenny, and Cartman save the world from total armageddon?

Movie impressions:

Raunchy fun! This is an incredibly funny movie, especially if you have watched a lot of musicals and are not afraid of the "F" word. Especially funny are the "Les Miserables" and Disney parodies. Not for everyone, but if hearing "Uncle Fucka" brings laughter instead of horror, you will probably like it.

DVD impressions - Video:

I only have a 27" TV and a Sony DVD player, so I'm not the best to judge. Still, the picture looked a little soft and muted. I'm not sure whether the Sony downconversion process had anything to do with it (this film IS anamorphic), but the Rhino South Park episode discs look a lot brighter to me. A very clean print, though, with no noticeable edge enhancement.

DVD impressions - Audio:

For a cartoon with the technical finesse South Park has, the audio is amazing and of reference quality. Very enveloping music, and good use of surrounds to employ directional effects.

Note that you do have to switch Dolby Digital 5.1 on manually. It is recommended, as you get more directional surround effects. Argh.

DVD impressions - Extras:

Unfortunately, this is a pretty bare bones disc. You get three trailers, and... well, that's about it. Oh, yeah, there is a French audio track in case you want to hear "Uncle Fucka" spliced with Parisian cursing. This disappointed me - I think a lot more could've been thrown onto this than there was...

OVERALL: Recommended to rent. If you love South Park, there's nothing stopping you from getting the disc. But it's not a must-get for non-fans, because of the lack of extras, IMHO.

[This message has been edited by soundwave106 (edited 11-25-1999).]
Old 11-29-99, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
rented this movie this weekend & i must say i was impressed with its intelligence. i am not a south park fanatic but the writing was great. it was a perfectly written parody of the way our society is today. no extras which sucks. this movie is screaming for a commentary. ***1/2 out of 5.
Old 12-03-99, 04:41 AM
Mysterio

Well, I love SP, and the original run time was over 90 minutes. When the DVD was announced, I ASSUMED it would have a few features, none of which are here.
Here is what is missing:
Deleted Scenes(The Non Ping-Pong Paddle Winona Ryder),etc.

A Few Songs..maybe the Rap Video for Uncle Fucka

COMMENTARY! Trey and Matt love to talk..what gives?

Overall, the film has smarts...even taking a stab at Saving Private Ryan...is a nice transfer, and the bottom line is you dig it or you don't..I have watched it 12 times and still fall into hysterics in the first twenty minutes.

As for the lack of features, I'd voice my TRUE opinion, but I have a V-Chip.
Old 12-06-99, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The audio on this dvd in 5.1 for a cartoon was great. Especially the when the T&P did the rap for "Unkle F'er". The video was sharp too. Filthy Fun does sum it up though.
Old 12-06-99, 04:53 PM

'Filthy Fun' certainly doesn't sum it up. There is a strong message in this movie and I as a European constantly had to laugh at the way it made fun at the US' hypocritical opinion on sex, language and violence in movies.
Your doing it yourself right now, by not typing 'Uncle Fucka'. Why are Americans censoring themselves, even on an Internet forum? Maybe they are already brainwashed?
I can tell you that South-Park type language is generally accepted in Europe on television and not only after 10pm.
The most ridicuous example of American cencorism is the Jerry Springer show, where about every word is 'bleeped' out (funny enough the cursing IS present in the Dutch subtitles...) and every nude person is blurred-out, like it is some kind of kiddy programme.
Old 12-07-99, 12:24 PM

Yes, and the message of how there is a tendency for parents in the US to blame everyone but themselves. Both are constant themes in both the TV show and the movie; the movie does work quite well strictly from a satire level.

There are a few people that would never be able to get over how much cursing is in this movie. These people probably won't care for this movie no matter what, especially since these type of people are the target of the satire...

[This message has been edited by soundwave106 (edited 12-07-1999).]