Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted:Nick of Time

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted:Nick of Time

Old 12-02-99, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is one of the cheaper priced DVDs in the Columbia House Club and I was thinking about picking it up. Any thoughts?

------------------
"You're a mean one, Mr. Finch"

Old 12-02-99, 03:28 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure about the transfer (though being Paramount, it's probably quite nice), but the movie is a total dud. It has a fine cast, and a neat gimmick, but it somehow all adds up to a dud. Cheap or not, I'd pass on it.

www.dvdtracker.com/~filmmaker
www.laserdisctracker.com/~filmmaker.asp
Old 12-02-99, 03:40 PM

Agreed. It sucked in the theatre.

David
Old 12-02-99, 04:44 PM

Interesting...

I ready the reviews over at IMDB and at Amazon and they were pretty positive about it. I remember a friend of mine said it was really good too a few years back.

How is the transfer? Any supplements?

I've got another "real time" DVD on pre-order, "Running Time" with Bruce Campbell. The two of these might make a nice double feature? Mmmmkay?
Old 12-02-99, 06:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW I thought the movie was pretty good... Not the best in the world, but decent. Then again I like Depp and Walken who usually seem to get bad reviews on a regular basis, or are atleast underrated (IMHO). Also sometimes the gimic is enough to get me to buy it, if it's cheap enough. Which unfortunately is why I haven't bought this one yet. It ~$30 MSRP which means ~$20 etail and it's pretty much a movie only disc I'm starting to run out of SEs I'm interested in using coupons on so maybe sometime soon... Since you have time (it's not like it's a preorder or on sale) rent it first and see if you like it. If you can't find the DVD at least pick up the other format and see if you like the movie.

BTW don't forget the other "real time" movie; High Noon. There might be a forth too 88 Charlie Mopic which I know is done in a BWP style and it might be "real time". Unfortunately this isn't out on DVD yet...