DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

You should spend some $ & replace A Bug's Life with the SE!

Old 11-27-99, 03:57 PM

I got my "A Bug's Life" Special Edition today and am VERY pleased with it. It is a 2 disc set.
The 1st disc has the movie- LETTERBOX (WooHoo!)& standard (boo!) & audio commentary by the makers.
The 2nd disc has MANY featurettes & features from every aspect of the films theatrical release & video release. This 2nd disc is PACKED full of stuff!
This was definitely worth the extra money (runs around $29.99) and worth replacing the original DVD.

------------------
"I fart in your general direction... Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

MY LIST
Old 11-27-99, 05:20 PM

Yeah I ordered it with a $10 coupon and am looking forward to checking out all the extras. It is indeed 16X9 right?

------------------
gotdvd?

My favorite movies of 1999!
1. The Blair Witch Project
2. The Messenger
3. Analyze This

Old 11-27-99, 08:03 PM

Well, Normy, I wouldn't be too down on the reformatted standard version. It actually in many respects show you things that the widescreen version didn't show. If you haven't watched the reformatting comparison on disc 2 yet, I suggest that you do and then maybe you will have a different opinion on the process. I think it's really a great idea with great execution.

JoeC...Yay Pixar!
Old 11-27-99, 08:07 PM

Oh, I forgot. Yes, gotdvd?, it is indeed 16x9 anamorphic. Yay.

I took a look at this disc as soon as I got it today and all I can say is that Pixar actually out did the Dreamworks Antz Signature edition DVD that most of us drooled over this year. I mean, my God. It is, simply put, the best Buena Vista release ever (that's not too tough to do)and one that stands alongside all the other DVD box sets out there.

JoeC...isn't that right, Fleabie?
Old 11-27-99, 09:50 PM

Sorry JoeC. I was downing Pan & Scan and not the reformatting that was done on Bug's Life. That is quite impressive. My point is that Pan & Scan, or Pan & ScaM as I like to call it, does not preserve the director's intentions for the film. However, with this one, the reformatting preserved the filmmakers' intentions. Bravo Pixar! (clap) (clap)
Sorry that I did not clarify what I meant.

------------------
"I fart in your general direction... Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"
-Monty Python & The Holy Grail
MY LIST
Old 11-28-99, 05:25 AM
Uber Member

I still prefer the widescreen version of the movie as it just seems more "cinematic." 1.33:1 movies just remind me too much of TV. If that's the way they were originally filmed, that's fine as the movie was designed to be told within those constraints, but I find it hard to believe that you can go from an intended 2.35:1 aspect ratio to a 1.33:1 aspect ratio and not loose anything.

But this is an incredible SE! The commentary was funny and pointed out several things I missed. And I've only just started on the second disc. The Fliebie thing was hilarious!

------------------
-David
Old 11-28-99, 07:04 AM

If you would like to take a look at my in-depth review of the 2 DVD set, click here:

Review: Bug's Life-Collector's Edition
Old 11-30-99, 03:01 PM

I felt like I was ripped off as the outtakes weren't even "widescreen" as they originally were made. They made them 1.33:1 which totally sucks... The first release (non-SE) had the original outtakes with the credits and all.
Old 11-30-99, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was under the impression that only about 40% of the film had actually been re-formatted and the rest was just pan and scan. I think the reason was that certain scenes benefitted more from the re-formatting than others so they did it on a scene by scene basis.

Mine's in the mail!
Old 12-01-99, 05:17 PM
Cool New Member

It's Collector's edition! not special edition! get it right! It clearly states on the box that it's collector's edition. Sorry, I'm just anal, and yes this DVD is the shitznit! Hercules is a bad dvd, mulan and pinocchio are good dvds.. Hopefully we can get Tarzan CE as a digital to digital transfer to., DDD all the way baby!
Old 12-02-99, 12:55 AM
Uber Member

her209,

You're joking right? The outttakes were originally made 1.33:1 because they were going to be put in with the credits and there wouldn't be room for a widescreen presentation.

And I much prefer the way they are done on the COLLECTOR's edition (happy now, Radiohead? ). They're much larger and you don't have to wait for the credits to scroll by before the outtakes start.

Peat,

That was the story I heard too. I don't care. You can't go from 2.35:1 to 1.33:1 and not lose something. Widescreen movies just have a feeling of space and specialness that the squarish box of the TV aspect ratio can't emulate.

------------------
-David