Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

REVIEW WANTED: James Bond Collection.

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

REVIEW WANTED: James Bond Collection.

Old 11-16-99, 05:31 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wondering how they older Bonds in the set are. Are they re-mastered in 5.1?
Old 11-16-99, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thunderball, For Your Eyes Only, Licence to Kill, Goldeneye, and Tomorrow Never Dies are DD 5.1. Goldfinger and Live & Let Die are mono. Live & Let Die was the worst of the bunch. Overall it was good, but there were a few scenes where the picture would annoying vibrate up and down like crazy. For Your Eyes Only is an amazing DVD.
Old 11-16-99, 01:22 PM
DAC

Thanks, I am thinking about getting this but the cost! If I can get it down around $70-8- I will.
Old 11-16-99, 04:24 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to say that I bought this set and it is a must for anyone who loves James Bond. These movies are much better than I remember them (though Live and Let Die is a little hard to watch in some parts).

And I never experienced anything like the jumping video Cartload described on my Toshiba 3109 and RPTV.

Each one of these discs come with a commentary track (many of them have TWO) and lots of extras like making of documentaries or featurettes photo galleries and TV spots and radio ads and/or interviews.

------------------
-David
Old 11-16-99, 05:30 PM

The set is incredible!
I personally liked LaLD a lot.
My favorite is Goldfinger.
The extras are great!
If you like Bond, go for it!
This is the best Bond has EVER looked or sounded at home.
Why not use a 10 or 20 off coupon at reel,
linked thru BFL so you get $25 back?
That's probably the cheapest, most reliable way...

------------------
No sense in going off half - cocked...
Old 11-16-99, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm buying them individually and have three now, and quite simply these DVD's are AMAZING. A must buy, in my opinion.
Old 11-17-99, 02:34 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I got two from this batch ... Goldfinger and Thunderball. They're absolutely outstanding. I eagerly await Dr. No and Octopussy (got to have a Roger Moore in there someplace.) Maybe The World. -N!

------------------
MY DVDs: A study in addiction
THE FAKE NEWS: An e-zine for NORM MACDONALD fans

Old 11-17-99, 05:30 AM
DAC

Well, youve gone and done it. You've all most likely gotten me in more trouble with my wife. I Just spent $101,97 at CD Now through BFL. When/if my wife finds out I may be in trouble
Old 11-19-99, 09:59 PM

Wait for ValueAmerica dollars to knock the price down. I'm going to watch Thunderball in a minute. Included in my set was a coupon for a free title & a free bond title if you apply for a credit card.
www.dvdtracker.com/~dvdboy.asp
Old 11-19-99, 10:51 PM

Has anyone else watched the extra feature of "Licence to Kill" where they talked about the souped-up trucks and the "haunted" stretch of road. That was pretty spooky, especially the still picture of what looks like a devil/monster hand.
Old 11-20-99, 09:14 PM
Taranis

Is there any difference between getting them separately or together? It seems you could get them cheaper if you bought them separately, but I would hate to miss out on some items exclusive to the collection.

If anyone has a formula for the cheapest way to get the entire collection, I would be interested in hearing it.

TIA,

J.T.
Old 11-20-99, 10:17 PM
Uber Member

The only difference is you won't get the box the set comes in.

Actually, there is some promotional material in the boxed set (coupons, that is) for a Free movie (buy 3 Bonds and get 1 movie from a list free) and some other stuff.

------------------
-David
Old 11-22-99, 07:03 AM

The "buy 3 get 1 free" coupon comes with the individual Bond movies as well, not just the boxed set.
Old 11-23-99, 05:37 PM

I bought them separately, mainly because
(a) I already had Tomorrow Never Dies and
(b) I hated Live and Let Die and Thunderball (the 2 weakest in the series IMO) and License to Kill wasn't all that great either.

I just checked out For Your Eyes Only and man, that has to be the best transfer I have ever seen for a movie made in 1981. It's absolutely perfect. I mean, you'd think it was made in the late 90s. Goldeneye is also pretty good, but less impressive simply because I expected it to be great and For Your Eyes Only might be better than even Goldeneye if that makes any sense.

Goldeneye has much better sound though. Tomorrow Never Dies is, no surprise, the best in both picture quality and sound. I haven't bought Goldfinger yet.

The good thing about buying them separately is that:

(a) you can pick only the ones worth having (I'm not one of those people who has to buy everything in the set even though I don't like it just to complete the set) and
(b) you can use a CDNow coupon on each one (and some GCs) and get them all for free. =)

--Apparition
Old 11-24-99, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched about 1/2 of License to Kill last night the 4th of the 7 so far that I have watched and really not into it. Maybe its T. Dalton or the supporting cast or just the script or all things together and maybe thats why T. Dalton only did one Bond film.
Old 11-24-99, 10:07 PM
GetShorty

Actually, Dalton did 2 Bond movies, The Living Daylights then License to Kill.
Old 11-25-99, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally got around to watching the second half of License to Kill and stuck with it after a slow begining and it got better, somewhat. I was wondering after I replied if there could actually be another Bond film with T. Dalton and I was wrong. I really dont have anything against him but overall I just thought LTK was kind of dull.
Old 11-28-99, 09:05 PM
Wainwright

I bought the set for $199 Canadian, or for the record, it was my first DVD movie purchase ever.

Although I was extremely impressed with the set (For your Eyes only *does* look outstanding), none of the extra features on any of the discs worked on my DVD drive. Everything but the standard movie with the standard audio track skipped, crashed, or had lagging sound (at least 6-7 seconds lag). Has anyone else had this problem?? I played the movies on an IBM thinkpad.

I've already returned the set (sadly).
And, hey, give Timmothy Dalton a break. Its hard to compete with Connery.
Old 11-28-99, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The older Bond's are the best! I strongly agree with noelgross, go with Goldfinger and Thunderball. The other disks released in this wave are just not that good.

The Roger Moore Bonds don't hold up well, the transfers are nothing special, and then there is Moore's painfull, Clouseau like Pink Panther style that's laughable even when it's not supposed to be. Dalton is better, but not much.

Of the 19 Bonds that will eventually be released I'm picking up 7:

Dr. No
From Russia With Love
Goldfinger
Thunderball
You Only Live Twice
Goldeneye
The World Is Not Enough

Old 11-29-99, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 899 Likes on 557 Posts
buy this boxset!!! 'nuff said!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd
Old 11-30-99, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome set. All the movies are good to outstanding (I am a big Bond fan though) I already can't wait till may (I hope TWINE is included because its great) One question: Why are Goldfinger and Live and Let Die in mono. If they could tranfer Thunderball to 5.1, why not these two?