Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Great Escape

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Great Escape

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-99, 01:11 PM
parappa

This is one of my favorite movies. How is the image quality and sound. Are there any extras?
Old 11-21-99, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rented this quite a while ago, the picture was OK, but not superb. The sound was good in this movie. Surprisngly, it did have extras. The documentary was actually quite interesting and it was pretty cool seeing the trailers from that long ago. I enjoyed it and plan on getting it if I can find it cheap somewhere.

Blake Kunisch | | |
<small>Special Editions Thread | DVD Reviews</small>
In Theaters Now Forum Moderator
Old 11-22-99, 02:35 AM

I also have it. The transfer is decent -- not spectacular, but by no means bad. Remember that this movie is 36 years old now. Just a bit grainy. BUT -- I feel the slight grain adds to the film's charm.

Anyways, if it's one of your favorites (as it is mine) you really should get it. Worth the price to finally see it in widescreen (the P&S job that you've seen a thousands times on television is abysmal)

Also, check out the book -- it's extremely good, written by one of the prisoners. Plus it has a much more detailed account about those that escaped and both made it and didn't, and also delves into the investigation and punishment given to the men who shot the 50. Amazon has it for $4.79, btw.

Last, if you are a huge fan, you might also grab the soundtrack while it's still available.

jeff
Old 11-22-99, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I agree that this film is a must-have. The one glaring problem with it is that the widescreen is a little too wide. It's closer to 2.5:1 than 2.35:1. When they did the transfer they strayed into the part of the film that is supposed to hold the soundtrack and added that extra width to the image. In a few scenes you can actually see the props off to the side that were never meant to make it onto the final film. If you happen to have a Toshiba player you can just zoom it one level to get it back to the proper AR.

------------------
Mugwump's DVDs

Old 11-23-99, 08:34 PM

just wondering about something. If that were the case wouldn't the soundtrack be visible?