Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Last Man Standing My New Favorite Movie!!!!!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Last Man Standing My New Favorite Movie!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-99, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I have found a movie that I think surpasses even my previous praise of Pulp Fiction. As the subject line states, that movie is Last Man Standing starring Bruce Willis.

I simply CAN'T BELIEVE that more people don't like this film! It was trashed by the critics, and quite unfairly so.

The dvd has an excellent transfer with both widescreen and pan and scan versions on opposite sides of the disc. Excellent sound too, although gunfire is the primary sound effect. It was short on extras, I would have liked to have seen a commentary, or making of featurette, but those are minor omissions in an otherwise glorious cinematic thrillride.

The plot of the film is very similiar to the Clint Eastwood film "A Fistful of Dollars". I believe both films are based upon a story written by Akira Kurosawa. Last Man Standing is set in a Texas border town during prohibition. To summarize the story without spoiling it, basically, Bruce Willis plays a character who is passing through town, has an encounter with a local Irish bootlegging gang, and sticks around to settle the score and make a few bucks. He gets in league with a rival Italian bootlegging gang, and begins playing both gangs against each other. The rest of the story....... well you can probably guess from the title of the film. With a name like Last Man Standing, it isn't exactly a subtle film.

If you like violent films, especially with LOTS of gunplay, then look no further, this is your movie!

This movie rates a 10 out of 10!!!
Old 11-16-99, 08:04 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No disrespect, but...HATED IT!!!
Old 11-16-99, 09:46 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I really like this movie, but it is dog-poop compared to Yonjinbo....If you liked it, try this out..
Old 11-16-99, 09:50 PM

I also enjoyed this movie but not quite as much as you; I still prefer Leone's take on the story. But overall, I think more people would have enjoyed it if they had just gone and seen it.
Old 11-16-99, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You guys fell for it!
Old 11-17-99, 12:41 AM
Suspended

It BLOWS.
Old 11-17-99, 03:56 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yojimbo.

I did see this in the theaters and thought it was okay as a shoot 'em up.

------------------
-David
Old 11-17-99, 09:23 AM

I'll have to check out Yojimbo. Also, I haven't seen A Fistfull of Dollars in it's entirety, so I'll have to watch that one too.

Anglagard, what did we fall for? What do you mean?
Old 11-17-99, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They fell for your joke thread. They actually believe you`re serious when you say "Last Man Standing" is better than "Pulp Fiction".
Old 11-17-99, 11:25 AM

Oh. I guess I should have been more clear. I actually do like this movie more than Pulp Fiction. Pulp Fiction is still pretty high on my list though. This movie, Pulp Fiction, and Reservoir Dogs are the only three movies I have seen this year that I really liked (they aren't new movies, I just didn't get around to seeing them till now). Everything else will probably find it's way to ebay eventually.
Old 11-17-99, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

bruce dern should get a lifetime achievement award for overacting in this movie.

This movie is, well, hmm....it's just not very good, imho.

Certainly can't be compared to PF or RD.
Old 11-17-99, 07:22 PM
hbarki

I think Yojimbo is much better than the "mee too" movie. Check out Sanjuro, which is the sequel to Yojimbo.
Old 11-17-99, 09:59 PM

It's an awesome flick for what it is.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~dfjkl.asp
Old 11-18-99, 01:42 PM

I expected nothing going into this movie, so it was easy for it to exceed my expectations. The bottom line for me is that is did something most movies never seem to do lately. It entertained me.