Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

It really exists! Christopher Lambert's "Gunmen" is on DVD!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

It really exists! Christopher Lambert's "Gunmen" is on DVD!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-99, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gunmen. Maybe you've seen this 1994 action comedy starring Christopher Lambert & Mario Van Peebles on HBO or in Blockbuster's previously-viewed bins. Yeah, it's not art, but I find it insanely entertaining. The script by Stephen Sommers (Deep Rising, The Mummy) is in the same jokey fun vein of his previous movies, it has some interesting actors (Patrick "Picard" Stewart, Denis Leary) giving enjoyable performances, and takes place in scenic South American locations captured in gorgeous sepia-toned cinematography by Hiro Narita.

Unfortunately, the DVD by Lions Gate (Canadian distributor of the film) totally disrespects the visuals by presenting the movie in a grainy pan&scan (from a 2.35:1 film no less) disgrace. It IS the best presentation of this film available, only because a widescreen version doesn't exist on home video ANYWHERE afaik. Essentially, it looks like an above average tape. It does not even reach the quality of say, Warner's cheapie P&S titles like Fair Game.
The sound is simple 2-channel stereo. However, I did pick it up for the equivalent of $8 US. That lessens the pain somewhat.

The only place I've seen this available, perhaps in the entire world, is www.videoflicks.com (see their $7.99 DVDs section), a Canadian video rental chain. If you live in the greater Toronto area, you can pick up the DVDs at their Avenure Rd & Lawrence store.

For fans of the movie, this is the best thing to get, at least until the US distributor Dimension gets around to releasing a widescreen, DD5.1 version.
Old 03-04-01, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is Lambert's problem with movies anyway ??? Beowolf any1 ??
Old 03-04-01, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man, talk about raising the dead...