Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

SPR (DTS) The Best Sounding DVD? Oh You Bet!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

SPR (DTS) The Best Sounding DVD? Oh You Bet!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-99, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got done watching the DTS version of SPR and this is without a doubt the best sounding 5.1 DVD(or LD) I have ever heard! The surround field was nothing short of amazing, and this is the most immersing film I have ever experienced. It was amazing to hear the absolutly incredible explosions and at the same time hear the high pitch sounds of the bullits hitting the anti-tank barriers on the beach. I had revved myself up to hear awesome sound during the battles but even expecting so much I was still blown away by the magnificence of this DVD!

I would advise anyone who wants to show this movie to a war vet who saw action of this kind to think twice about it. The sound at the theaters were quite good but on a good Home Theater the sound is so lifelike that it really could be to disturbing along with the graphical nature of those scense as well.
Old 11-07-99, 01:02 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frank,

Have you had a chance to compare the DD and DTS versions?

I watched the DD version on Friday night and was blown away by the enveloping sound field. I have the DTS version on the way (the DD was a friend's) and I'm looking forward to trying to compare the two.

------------------
-David
Old 11-07-99, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blade

Yes I have and I really thought there was a very noticable difference. Now saying that I'm sure the "I don't have DTS and I am jealous, so I will put down DTS even though I have never heard it crowd" will as usual say DTS is no better and DTS will soon be gone. I don't know, these people must have stock in Dolby Labs because that would be the only reason I could understand their total hate for DTS.

And now we have the probably 4th or 5th time the rumor that DTS is filing for bankruptcy rumor that the anti-DTS people like to start.

One note when you watch SPR is you absolutly need full-size rear surrounds and a good sub(s)to get the full benifit of this DVD (as well as other DTS DVD), but especially this DVD.

I would be very interested in your comments after you have listened to the DTS version. Also when you review it let me know if you do indeed have full-size rear surrounds and a good sub(s).

[This message has been edited by Frank S (edited 11-07-1999).]
Old 11-08-99, 01:29 AM

Again guys blind test after blind test many times on quality surround sound systems,switching back and forth between DTS and DD, we found +'s and -'s in both. End result we called it a draw.
Old 11-08-99, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also own the DD5.1 and ordered the DTS so I can compare. the DD is so amazing it is tough to conceive of anything being better. I think most peoples' complaints with DTS has to do with such limited availablity and reduction of extras. The sound is personal preference so I would never try to tell you what sounds better to you. I can only comment on a better choice for me.

------------------
What's a videotape?
www.dvdtracker.com/~schrader.asp

Old 11-09-99, 08:21 AM

I started to watch a bit of SPR - DTS last night before I went out for the evening w/the Mrs. The first thing I noticed was how isolated each speaker seemed to be. There was no apparent sound coming from the TV (which has stereo speakers and I use it to help fill the sound out). The isolation seemed a bit distracting. But, there was a lot going on in the house at the moment and I will try it again this evening when I can better judge it. I also plan on renting the DD version to compare it.
Old 11-09-99, 09:51 AM

I would have to say that this is one of the best sound movie I have watched yet. In one of the scenes where it was raining it actually felt as if it really was. It gave all my speakers a real work out and during the landing on the beach my subwoofer was getting a hell of a workout. Very awesome! I have the DTS version.

------------------
Gabe
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~zoomex.asp

Old 11-10-99, 02:06 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, lets start with the disclaimers.

I am not an audiophile nor do I have trained ears.

My Mains and my surrounds are full range speakers but they are also 10 and 11 years old. I do have a very nice Silver Series Silver Center Speaker from Monitor Audio (and I would like to one day upgrade the rest of my speakers to Monitor Audio 9s and maybe 5s or 3s for the surrounds). My sub is the DefTech PF15TL. 15" and over 300watts. It may not go below 20 hz (?) accurately, but for $600 I'm very happy.

Worst of all, I still haven't calibrated my speakers.

My receiver is the Yamaha 2095 and my player is the Toshiba 3109.

And I could tell almost no difference between the DD and DTS version. If anything, the sound of the DTS was maybe a little crisper.

However, having listened to the Monitor Audio Silver Series speakers I think this has more to do with my speakers than with a lack of difference between the DD and DTS soundtracks.

Still, they both sound so good already, I can't imagine that you would really be missing anything important if you went the DD route.

I played about 10 minutes of the Omaha beach scene and chapter 16 (when the tanks finally show up) on both disks a few times for my comparison.

Obviously, I don't have the best setup in the world (perhaps far from it), but I would kind of expect more of an improvement if DTS is going to convert the average HT consumer from DD to DTS.

------------------
-David
Old 11-10-99, 07:36 AM

I just got the DTS version of SPR on Monday and watched it last night. I would have to agree it's the best sounding DVD I have out of the 40 I have (6 of these are DTS). The soundstage is just huge and I couldn't localize anything. Totally enveloping, jaw-dropping experience.

I have the following setup:
Snell speakers - C/V's for L/R, CC-1 center and SUR-500's with a Velodyne FSR-12 sub
Pre/Pro - B&K Reference 20
Amps - McCormack DNA-1 & DNA-HT1 amps
DVD - Sony DVPS530
TV - 35" direct view TV
Old 11-10-99, 11:11 AM

I've done comparison's between a bunch of DD and DTS disks, and I believe that the differences you hear are not as much a factor of the encoding technology, but of the actual audio mastering process. Some DTS disks sound better because some engineer remixed it as such. Same holds true for some DD disks. What I have found to generally be true though is that most people who say "DTS sounds better" are basing their findings on the simple fact that a lot of DTS discs are recorded at a higher volume level, so louder means better. This is obviously not true and simple turn of the knob would proove this.
Old 11-10-99, 12:09 PM

Actually, if a DTS disk was recorded _louder_, in general that means more compression was applied to the DTS disk. I am not a big fan of compression, liking the dynamic peaks that you get with non-compressed material, and would prefer a less-compressed DD disc to a higher-compressed DTS disc.

DTS has more potential than DD but I just don't see its worth paying much extra for. IMHO.
Old 11-10-99, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rastan

Sorry to burst your bubble but I played both versions and did so having matched the db levels with an SPL meter. This again is another anti-DTS statement that the only difference is between DTS and DD is the volume. To even make such a remark tells me you've never heard DTS on a good system. I can respect those who don't think DTS is much better than DD (they do always admit at least a little bit better sound) but can also hear the appearant mixing differences in the two formats.

I just can not believe all these anti-DTS people! Hey, no one is saying DD is a garbage format. What a lot of us are saying is there is a noticable difference between the two formats with DTS getting a better rating. DD is a great audio format and if that was the only format that was out there I would still be blown away by the incredible sound of the 5.1 surround format. I've posted a lot of reviews about DD DVDs that I thought were an absolute joy to my ears(Matrix, Das Boot) to name a couple. I think we should all be as supportive to these two formats as we can because in the long run if one or both of these formats improve, we all benefit with having an even greater sounding HT then we have now. I proudly display both my DD & DTS HT plaques and will do so for as long as I have a HT.