Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Das Boot: Director's Cut

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-99, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw Das Boot for the 1st time last night.
Man was I pleasantly surprised.
It is a nail bitting drama. It seemed as if your were inside the sub with the crew. The surround effects were incredible. The acting performances very good.
It now tops my list, ahead of Saving Private Ryan, as the most realistic war movie ever.
(By a very long shot.)
Two big thumbs up.
Old 10-23-99, 04:04 PM

I have to agree, far far better movie than Private Ryan. (Of course, I didn't like Private Ryan at all...)

Very gritty, very tension-filled, much like actual war. I was kinda shocked with the ending, but I ended up finding it quite fitting.

Good 5.1 sound too, especially in the first 2-3 chapters of Side B.

------------------
Peken
My DVD List

Old 10-23-99, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

a masterpiece---nuf said
Old 10-23-99, 10:06 PM

I don't know of a movie that conveys the terror of submarine warefare as effectively as this one. When I saw it in the theater, I was relieved to get out and see blue sky.

You can almost smell the sweat, fear and claustrophobia.
Old 10-24-99, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was my first dvd, and it's still one of my favorites.
Old 10-24-99, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree this is an oustanding film! Without a doubt the best submarine film. It's refreshing to see real terror in the sailors faces, you just don't see that in other movies, or if you do usually the lead character would not be scared at all even when other are panicing. I loved to see even the seasoned veterans scared when the depth charges are being dropped. I'm sure this is a much more accurate a depiction of how is was in the subs.

As for the sound MAN it was great when they were on the surface in the bad weather the incredible bass from the waves beating accross the sub.

Just a class DVD!
Old 10-28-99, 02:38 AM

Location: <a href=http://www.dvdtracker.com/~dylan>My DVD's </a>
Great DVD. I just wish it wasn't a flipper.

------------------

"Sorry, I have a thing about chickens."

[This message has been edited by Aslan (edited 10-27-1999).]
Old 11-01-99, 01:36 AM

Yes, Das Boot is totally AWESOME. Although, there is nothing wrong w/ SPR, I don't quite see how someone could say that. Although, I will say....after seeing Stalingrad recently, while SPR was raved for being a first at a "true," graphic portrayal of war....apparently those people have not seen Stalingrad. Wow....that was another good one. Netflix.com is awesome for previewing those "this looks cool, don't know if I want to buy it though" movies. Now...I will buy that (along w/ Dark City).

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~dfjkl.asp
Old 11-04-99, 08:19 AM

OK.. I guess I've got to jump on this bandwagon. WOW, this DVD is really a must have for alll the right reasons.

Story.....great
Picture quality....great
Sound....great
If you are on the fence about owning this...Run don't walk. Now if I can find Stalingrad by the same guy????
Old 11-04-99, 10:38 AM

dfjkl,

Like you, I thought Stalingrad was an excellent movie. Unfortunately, most people have never heard of it, and to be honest, the DVD isn't the best transfer I've ever seen. Still, the images are unforgettable.

Gerhard
Old 11-05-99, 06:53 AM

I'll agree, it wasn't....no real special features either, and shopping around (I saw it from a netflix rental), it is a bit expensive in comparison to others, but still, no worse than any VHS. I will still eventually get the DVD. Still, that doesn't take away from the fact that Stalingrad is an awesome movie....(as is Das Boot of course.)
Old 11-05-99, 01:25 PM

I love this dvd. They did a fabulous job getting it to dvd. I have a question though. They did the dolby digital 5.1 in both german and english. Is the reason it was a flipper because it had both audio tracks in DD 5.1 or was it because it was not dual layer??? I'm still new to the technology in's and out's. If it was due to having 2 x 5.1 audio tracks why did they not have one side in german and one side in english??? I've only watched it in German language with english subtitles (flunked german 101 in college), does the english 5.1 version sound dumb, or unsynched???