Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Stop Making Sense - Review

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Stop Making Sense - Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-99, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somehow the Talking Heads escaped my attention in the 80's. I bought the DVD on the strength of reviews that proclaimed it as the best concert film ever.

Last night I turned it on as backround music while I was paying my bills. Within minutes, David Byrne had my rapt attention.

The reviewers are right. The design, production, direction, and most of all, the amazing creative energy of David Byrne make this an unforgettable performance.

I defy anyone to sit still during "Burning Down The House".

Demme's direction is unobstrusive and revealing. This is a band having a great time at the peak of their creative powers.

I only wish I could have been there...

The DVD video and audio are wonderful.

Check this one out.

[This message has been edited by cwburch (edited 10-29-1999).]
Old 10-29-99, 02:31 PM
The Matrix

I would have to agree with cwburch, this DVD is simply awesome. Before I bought this DVD, I had never heard any song by the Talking Heads, but now I will probably pick up some of their cds. The songs are so energetic and you really get involved and feel like it is much more then a concert, but rather an experience. Pick This One Up!

------------------
"Unfortunately no one can be told what the Matrix is... you have to see it for yourself..."
Old 10-29-99, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. Not only is it weird that you've never heard any songs by the Talking Heads, but you bought a music related DVD of a band you've never heard.

hmm.. DVDTalk bargains must be better than I thought.

Old 10-29-99, 03:14 PM
The Matrix

I never heard Talking Heads because they were a little before my time (I was four when the movie was released). I picked up the DVD because I remember seeing the trailer for the re-release of "Coming Attractions" on E and I had heard that it was one of the best, if not the best, concert movie ever. Needless to say, I was not disappointed, and now have an interest in their music. Ah, the power of DVD!

------------------
"Unfortunately no one can be told what the Matrix is... you have to see it for yourself..."
Old 11-02-99, 11:42 AM

I have to agree that this film is great and made even better on DVD. I have the VHS copy so when it came in I played it for background music. Before I knew it I was sitting down and watching the whole movie. There is a nice set of extras and 3 different sound mixes.

I would recomend this movie to anyone.

Dave
Old 11-02-99, 12:11 PM
Banned

I saw the Talking Heads on this tour at the civic auditorium here in Portland. It was just about the best big name rock show I've ever seen and that's saying something because I've seen many and I wasn't expecting the Heads to put on such an engaging show. The entire auditorium from front row to nose bleed seats was on its feet and dancing through out the entire show.

I saw the movie in first release at the theater and I'd say that it captures the atmosphere of the tour about as good as any film could have. Great entertainment and highly recommended. The Talking Heads were way ahead of their time.

[This message has been edited by Surf Monkey (edited 11-02-1999).]