DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

My review of "Go"

Old 08-26-99, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To sum it up in one line - A teenage Pulp Fiction.

However, I loved Pulp Fiction, and I liked this movie too. The movie is split into three parts, where each part essentially starts at the same point in time, but ends up following the events surrounding different characters.

The ending was the only part that was a little disappointing, as the bit in the coffee shop seemed a bit contrived. But that's just my take on it.

In terms of technical aspects, I watched the widescreen 2.35:1 Anamorphic version, and was quite impressed. (Dxr2 S-video out to Sony 27"). I only remember seeing one speck during the whole movie. Colors were not vibrant, but they're not expected to be, since most of this movie takes place at night, and the surrounding is usually rather dark.

Don't ask about the sound, since I'm using a low-end Pro-Logic receiver. One thing I can say is that the dialog was quite clear throughout.

I haven't checked out all the extras of the disc, but I can say that the three music videos are quite cool, especially the Steal My Sunshine video (the one with bikini babes all over the place). BTW, anyone know where this was shot? It's on a beach, with a pier in the background, but the pier has a gondola ride on it. Just curious...
As for the deleted scenes, some of them aren't actually "deleted scenes" per se, as some are outtakes, and some are variations on scenes in the movie (mostly in dialog).

And the Amway reference had me on the floor. It was rather unexpected.

Overall, I think it's a good disc. Of course, I picked it up for $9, so my cheapness has some influence on that.

------------------
Peken
My DVD List

Old 08-28-99, 08:35 PM
Felixx21

Hey thanks.. I didn't know what videos were on the DVD. I should arrive at my place Monday. I heard reviews about it and everyone seems to enjoy the movie. And ya.. the ending really is important. All movies should have great endings.
Old 08-31-99, 12:27 AM
Cool New Member

I was really surprised with Go! I wanted to see it in the theaters but never made it. Took a chance and got it with an 800.com coupon and am really glad I did. I thought it was great and really original. It is sort of like a teenage Pulp Fiction but I'm quite a few years past teenager and I enjoyed it all the same. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Old 09-01-99, 09:17 AM

Peken,
Couldn't agree with you more -- "teenage Pulp Fiction"
Liked the movie, wasn't great, but good. The amway bit had me busting a gut.
Old 09-24-99, 05:25 PM
Modfather

Peken, I found your review of Go (obviously), thanks. BTW, could the pier be in Santa Monica, CA? Just a thought.

modfather
Old 09-24-99, 06:32 PM

Maybe it's Venice Beach down in SoCal. That would make sense having a gondola there, since the beach shares the name of that famous Italian city with all the gondolas.
Old 09-24-99, 11:13 PM

Go! has three videos:

Len - Steal my Sunshine
Stepperwolf - Magic Carpet Ride (awesome video)
No Doubt - New (yet another awesome video)

------------------
She will be mine... Oh Yes!!! She will be mine!
~ Felixx

Old 09-25-99, 12:22 PM

Actually, I saw an interview of sorts with Len and they mentioned that the Steal My Sunshine video was done in Daytona, Florida.

And Len is Canadian.

------------------
Peken
My DVD List

Old 09-28-99, 10:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

Teenage pulp fiction is just a weak comparison. Taratino's uses of the medium were hardly original (don't get me wrong I like the movie). GO stands on its own, it's a good film.. not a Pulp Fiction copycat.

My 2 Cents
Old 09-29-99, 12:22 AM

Go is indeed a good film, but it's not a great film. I suggest renting it instead of purchasing it.

My biggest problem with the movie is that it never really drew me in and made me care about the characters or what happened to them on an emotional level.

The commentary is above average and worth listening to. Most of the many deleted scenes are alternate takes or longer takes than what was included in the movie. One of the deleted scenes is pretty long and I would classify it as an alternate ending. Personally, I don't care for any of the videos.
Old 10-02-99, 01:46 AM

"Go!" is a great movie.

I loved Pulp Fiction more, and although "Go!" uses a non-linear way of telling the story, I think that's really where the similarity ends.

The movie stands up on it's own merits.
Old 10-03-99, 10:03 PM
Cool New Member

Go is a good movie but worthy of being a rental than a buy. Reel has it for 12.49 right now so if you have any spare coupons left over and are ordering something else maybe it's a buy if you just want to have your DVD collection expand faster.
Old 10-04-99, 10:49 AM

Marc: the similarity between Go! and Pulp Fiction ends at the non-linear story? Puh-leaze. Go! was almost the same movie with younger actors.

Not that this is a bad thing. It is still a very good movie, and puts in enough new twists to make the whole thing amusing, like the kinky Amway reps and the trip to Vegas.

[This message has been edited by 3rainiac (edited 10-04-1999).]
Old 10-04-99, 02:00 PM

3rainiac,

How else was Go the same as Pulp Fiction (other than the non-linear thing)?

Old 10-04-99, 03:54 PM

I didn't find Go to be like Pulp Fiction at all. [i]Go was about drugs and kids and wasn't all that exciting whereas Pulp Fiction was about drugs and adults as well but it had a very interesting story that made you anxious to find out what happens next? I guess the two movies are alike in the drug & flashback issues, but that is it! Quentin's movie is a classic, this movie is only so-so. The DVD is far cooler though, especially the Katie Holmes outtakes... woo-hoo!
Old 10-08-99, 05:49 PM
Cool New Member

Go is very derivative of Pulp Fiction in that it uses the three part non linear story and has a lot of "tarantino-speak" but the similarities stop there. For one thing Pulp is sooo much better. Why? coolness factor. Match any actor in Pulp (sans tarantino himself) against his counterpart in Go and Pulp people blow their embryonic dopplegangers out of the water! There is a huge difference between acting/looking cool and being cool. Samuel l. Jackson and Travolta are just cool not even saying a damn word, while all those posers on Go like olyphant, the drug dealer and that british effete guy just look like they were designed to satisfy a certain demographic. Plus the ending for Pulp fiction was so good- It had resolution and it came full circle. Go's ending suffered from a quick, feel good ending where nothing is resolved and the only thing that came about is that the sarah polley character got 100 extra to pay her rent- let's see how much she has to pay for her doctor's bills- probably 2 grand. I mean I enjoyed Go but because of some weak characters and off pacing this is nowhere in Pulp Fiction's ballpark as Vincent would say.
Old 10-08-99, 07:20 PM

Go! and Pulp Fiction share the following things:

1. 3 part story, obviously.
2. Drug using gone bad (fire and overdose).
3. Drug dealing gone bad (near death for Polley's character, having an OD in your house).
4. Kinky gay sex (well, only the threat of it in Go!).
5. A very large cast of lead characters.
6. A diner scene.
7. A car chase (didn't Pulp Fiction have a car chase? I can't remember how the scene before Zed started.)
8. Dancing.
9. Gun violence.

I'm sure there are others. Most of these are very nit-picky similarities that could be found in lots of movies, but having a three part linear story, witty dialogue (Pulp Fiction) and trying-too-hard-to-be-witty dialogue (Go!), and such a large group of lead characters are such obvious similarities that they can't be ignored. If the whole underlying structure of your movie is the same as another, it can't be helped to be compared. But, there are a lot of differences, and I think Pulp Fiction gets the better differences.

1. Go! is not as non-linear. All the stories start at the grocery store. All the characters are aware of each other from the beginning. The jumps back in time always end up at the same time. Pulp Fiction has three stories of people that aren't connected at the start and eventually become aware of each other. And the time jumps go all over the place. This seemed to me to be more sophisticated and interesting (mostly because seeing Travolta's character killed and then alive again was genius), but then, if Go! had copied this, too, we wouldn't hesitate to criticize it.
2. The dialogue in Pulp Fiction is much smarter.
3. Go! doesn't have a director cameo (I don't think). Go! wins this battle of the differences because Tarantino is painful to watch on the screen.

[This message has been edited by 3rainiac (edited 10-08-1999).]
Old 10-13-99, 07:13 PM

How contrived is the movie? I like Swingers but the one thing that bothered me about that movie was it kind of forced a "coolness" factor towards the viewers; also, the characters are a lot less likeable than the Tarantino films Swingers was obviously influenced by.

The initial impression I've heard from people of Go seems to indicate that its a little forced, without as original of a concept as Swingers had. Which would make it a rental for me. But I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know...

Another thing steering me away from it is that reviews indicate it tries to throw in an impression of the rave culture; I haven't seen any Hollywood effort that has capture that culture (at least the early to mid 90s culture) without resorting to a form of trendy stereotype yet.
Old 10-17-99, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think go was more derivative of rashomon and it's style of storytelling.
same events, different point of view.
Old 10-19-99, 11:53 PM
Cool New Member

I think go is a great film and an even better DVD. To the member who posted saying he wasn't sure about the sound because he was using a pro-logic receiver..get yourself a 5.1 decoder..the sound kicks ass and the techno soundtrack is great!
I loved the movie and the deleted scenes were actually funny and showed an alternate ending! That's more than you can say for most deleted scenes which are crap and you can understand exactly why they didnt' make the fim.
Also, the commentary is interesting!! I find most commentary bores me but not on this disc.
In my opinion this movie would make a welcome addition to anyones dvd library and at the low price I've seen it at everywhere, there's no reason not to pick it up!
Doug Liman is great...I wonder what he's going to do next?
Old 10-20-99, 10:52 AM

Whew this thread is still going...

Lorne - That was me who said I only had a pro-logic receiver. I have very recently bought a DD receiver, but haven't watched this movie with it yet (Too many others needed to be tested like Matrix, 5th Element, etc). I don't if I will anytime soon, seeing that I've seen the movie three times since I got it...

Peon - I can see how it is derivative of Rashomon in that Go is told in a non-linear fashion, but that's where the similarity ends. In Rashomon, different characters present their point-of-view of the same events, where in Go, each of the three stories tells an entirely different set of events, which happen to occur at the same time as the others.

------------------
Peken
My DVD List

Old 10-22-99, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've watched my GO disc 4 or 5 times now, and enjoyed it thoroughly each time... Well worth the purchase...

Derek

------------------
Derek J. Nolan -- [email protected] -- My DVDs