Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: John Frankenheimer's "The Train"

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: John Frankenheimer's "The Train"

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-99, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few weeks ago, one of the classic movie channels played "The Train", dircted by John Frankenheimer and starring Burt Lancaster. I was only able to see the first hour of the movie, but I enjoyed what I saw. I know that this movie is available on DVD. Can any one give me a review of the DVD and the movie itself?

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 10-20-99, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm awful at writing detailed reviews but I'm more than happy to offer my 2 cents. The movie itself takes a long while to get going but when it does it's well worth the wait. A typical Frankenheimer film with great action scenes and a coherent storyline. It's a nice change of pace from most WWII movies. As to the DVD, the audio is mono through the center speaker with a bit of hissing that can be distracting. The video is in decent shape for a B&W picture. It also includes a nice booklet, a very long trailer, an isolated music score, and the real gem, a John Frankenheimer commentary. If you've listened to his track on Ronin you'll know that, while his voice is very monotone, he loves talking about his films and reveals some great behind-the-scenes info that is really enjoyable to listen to. I bought the DVD strictly for the commentary. Hope this helps.

BTW, I'm just down the road from you in Royal Oak. Small world.

------------------
Mugwump's DVDs

Old 10-20-99, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
I'll agree with mugwump.

The disc is quite good, the transfer and sound are nothing great, but good.

The movie itself is great, it starts off a bit slow, but by the end, you are on the edge of your seat. Listen to the commentary (or read the booklet) on how they did the train wrecks. it is pretty amazing how they shot this film.

It is worth owning.
Old 10-20-99, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the reviews. I think I'll pick this one up soon. (Don't want to do it right away, as I've already spent about $150 on DVDs so far this week.) I already have Ronin and The Manchurian Candidate. I've seen 7 Days In May and The Island Of Dr. Moreau (perhaps the most unintentionally surreal movie ever made.) Can anyone suggest other Frankenheimer films?

Mugwump...
Finally someone from my neck of the woods! I was beginning to think I was the only one here from the Detroit area. I love Royal Oak...a great place. It also includes my favorite theater, the Main Art. I'll be making the trip there soon to see "The Limey".

jim

------------------
Old 10-21-99, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

God! How could I forget to mention Frankenheimer's "Seconds"?!? It's one of my favorite movies. I had to pay $30 just to get an out of print VHS copy of this movie at EBay, but it was well worth it. With a commentary, this would make an excellent collector's edition. Are you listening Criteron????

jim

------------------
Old 10-21-99, 02:30 AM
JOONY

This movie was AWESOME!!! buy it now