Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is the "Die Hard" DVD worth buying?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Is the "Die Hard" DVD worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-99, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 3 Die Hard movies on VHS and was thinking about replacing them with the DVD's. Is the sound track OK?

Thanks......Hank Jordan
Old 10-06-99, 06:05 PM

Well, the DVD is non-anamorphic, has no extras and the remastered 5.1 digital sound is NOTHING compared with more recent releases like the Matrix, which just have you dizzy from the surround-effects.

However, if you (like me) were watching the butt-ugly VHS version of this film, the DVD COMPLETELY blows it away. Although non-anamorphic, the DVD looks as good on my 4x3 set as many more recent films (and makes it look like Die Hard was made in the mid-1990s rather than the late-80s). The widescreen aspect ratio is a must for this film too, as you're losing about 1/2 of the picture with the VHS edition. The sound is better too, much clearer and more distinct, just not up to the standards of today.

I think this is one of the greatest action movies ever made and so I bought a sub-reference quality DVD. If you think similarly, I would suggest getting it without a moment's thought. If you don't think it's that great, then you may want to wait, in hopes that someday Fox will issue a better version of this magnificent film (with deleted scenes, outtakes, etc.). However, given the powers of film restoration, I'm not sure it's going to look any better than this.

--Apparition
Old 10-07-99, 04:05 AM

The original Die Hard and the first sequel, Die Hard 2, both look and sound outstanding, even though they are not anamorphic.

For some reason, the most recent of the three, Die Hard with a Vengeance, has some video transfer problems. The transfer seems "edgy" and "shimmers" mightily in many of the early scenes. After the first 20 minutes or so, it seems to settle down and then looks almost as good as the first two. As you might imagine, it has the best audio of the three simply because it's the most recent.

These discs are not totally "bare-bones"; they do include some interactive Cast and Crew bios and Production Notes and some very small Production Features and Photo Galleries.

If your only current copies of these are on VHS then these discs will more than satisfy.

Joseph

[This message has been edited by Joseph B (edited 10-07-1999).]
Old 10-08-99, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Of course. Please remember a fair DVD is still better than a VHS if for no other reason than chapter access, storage, no degredation over time, widescreen, etc.

------------------
What's a videotape?
www.dvdtracker.com/~schrader.asp

Old 10-10-99, 10:46 PM

If you are a fan of the film, then buy the disc.
Old 10-11-99, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even though they are non-anamorphic, the "Die Hard Trilogy" is a must-own if you're a big fan. The transfer, without 16x9 enhancement, is still very good and will blow away the VHS copies. Hard to believe, but the original has the best transfer, then "Die Harder", and the worst . . . "Die Hard With A Vengeance".

The sound is the best available for series at DD 5.1.
Old 10-14-99, 03:53 PM

Despite its lack of extras, the Die Hard Trilogy is a great set to own. It simply looks and sounds terrific.

------------------