Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Land Before Time

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-99, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Guilty Pleasure. I bought it for my kids but I like it too. This was an early release of Spielberg/Lucas and maybe it was too soon for the format. Not enough people were willing to pay for movie for kids yet. This is in 1.33:1 ratio which does not say if it is the original ratio or not. Color looks washed out in the first few minutes of the film but gets progressively brighter. 2.0 Audio sounded decent but I always wish for 5.1 even on an animated movie. I picked this movie up from a recent online promotion so it was only $5.74 with shipping. At a little over an hour long, it is a good movie for the kids and adults usually like it too.

------------------
What's a videotape?
www.dvdtracker.com/~schrader.asp

Old 10-11-99, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...As a matter of fact, when Land Before Time came out (1988), it was one of the shortest animated features ever released. Director Don Bluth had animated a sequence with the T-Rex chasing down Littlefoot & co., but Spieberg deemed it "too intense" for the little ones, and had the scene cut. A million dollars to animate that sequence, eliminated with one snip of the shears. That sequence might have added some much needed bite (pun intended), but Spielberg saw "Land Before Time" as strictly a kids picture. I've always hoped we might see that footage someday, but Spielberg would never allow that to happen. Good movie. Could have been a great one.
Old 10-11-99, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting about that deleted scene.

My son loves [i]The Land Before Time[i] series so I bought him the original on DVD when it was released. I was disappointed that its aspect ratio is 1:33:1 but maybe that's the original AR... I checked IMDb and they don't have it listed. Now if only they'd release the other 5 movies in the series my son would really be thrilled! I OTOH, would not since they are jam packed with foul songs like "Friends For Dinner." "(

------------------
Widescreen all the way baby!