Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Yellow Submarine

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-99, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading the New York Times article about the restoration process for Yellow Submarine, I had high hopes for this DVD. I was not disappointed.

The color saturation is sumptuous. There are some imperfections, but on the whole this is a first class restoration. If you want appreciate the restoration, look at the original theatrical trailer or the “making of” documentary extras.

The re-mastered audio brings new complexity and detail to familiar Beatle material (even on my strictly middlebrow home entertainment system). The opening a cappella chorus of “Nowhere Man” sounded like it was recorded yesterday.

For a generation that has not seen this film, Yellow Submarine is a perfect time capsule for 60’s psychedelic era. The film begins in under the sea in Pepperland, an idyllic musical community, which is attacked by the music-hating Blue Meanies. “Young Fred” manages to escape the attack in the Yellow Submarine, which takes him to England. He recruits the Beatles to return with him to Pepperland to join the battle between the forces of order (the Blue Meanies) and the forces of creativity and love. The plot is pretty much as hokey as it sounds, but it is merely a vehicle for the music, humor, surrealism, artistic and social sensibilities of the psychedelic 60’s. And it is there that the movie emphatically succeeds.

The animation is certainly not as sophisticated as some more modern efforts, but it stands up remarkably well. There was a lot of revolutionary (for the 60’s) integration of animation and live action. The colors are gorgeous. Visually, this is still a very entertaining film.

If you don’t like the Beatles music, or are bored by animation, stay away. If you are on the fence about getting this DVD, buy it. You won’t be disappointed. And if you love the Beatles, this DVD should move to the top of your list.
Old 09-14-99, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I knew this would be cool!

I still haven't ordered it but WOW! when I heard it was coming, it went right on my list.
Old 09-15-99, 01:07 AM

I will get this as soon as possible maybe using a big deal like checkout.com's 55% off.

BTW, what is the movie like? Can I say it is an animated musical? Does it contain Beatles' songs in full length? What songs are in it then? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Young
Old 09-15-99, 06:01 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yspak,

You might want to check out www.DVDResource.com . There's a full review with a movie description as well as a song title list that notes songs played in full as well as songs that are only partially played.

------------------
-David
Old 09-15-99, 08:35 PM

David,

Thank you for the info. It was perfect!!

Young
Old 09-16-99, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched it tonight, and I must say I'm impressed! After having a bad copy of it on tape that I recorded 15 years ago, it's great to see (and hear!) such a vibrant DVD! It IS weird hearing the songs mixed in 5.1 - it sounds more like clearly placed music than plain ol' stereo. Hearing the vocals from my center channel threw me a little too - I switched to the 2.0 mix to listen, but went back to the 5.1! When the Kinky Boot Beasts (!) stomp, the sub just emphasizes it!
Old 09-16-99, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
Here are some Hidden Features for the Yellow Submarine dvd, found this over at The Dvd Review site.

Yellow Submarine MGM Home Entertainment's release of the animated Beatles classic is loaded with hidden features. 14 or so come to mind immediately, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are more to be found. Go to the disc's main menu and press the arrow up key. A part of the Yellow Submarine will be highlighted, the first hidden feature when you press the 'Enter' key on your remote control. But from here you can also go left, right, and further up to highlight all different parts of the submarine to bring up small animations and sounds. These funny hidden features have been reported by our reader P. J. Slim.

Kahuna

[This message has been edited by kahuna (edited 09-16-1999).]
Old 09-16-99, 12:37 PM

Just to give credit where it's due, the excerpt above is from DVD Review. Guido beat me to it, dammit!
Old 09-16-99, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
bob_mandel,

Hey Guido, thanks for the heads up. I made the correction.

Kahuna
Old 09-17-99, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched mine last night. They did an amazing job. One of the best DVD releases of the year. Now, if only they`d release "Anthology", "Let it Be", "Live in Tokyo `66",...
Old 09-19-99, 08:27 PM
Cool New Member

Check out this link for an indepth review of the 5.1 audio remix and restoration. Can't wait to get it, mine's on the way.
http://www.mixonline.com/current/199...submarine.html
Old 09-20-99, 08:26 PM

I happened to see it on the big screen last week and it looked and sounded great... but the DVD is even better. The colors are so bold it looks like it was made yesterday. A spectacular disc.
Old 09-21-99, 12:09 AM

cwburch: Hi! I'm convinced that Yellow Submarine is a must-buy. I have a friend who bought it and loves it, and Roger Ebert gave it quite a praise in his column in the Chicago Sun Times. So would you mind posting the date that the restoration article appeared in the NY Times? I'd be very interested in reading up on what was done. Thanks!
Old 09-21-99, 02:37 AM
Uber Member

dvdkingster,

The date was September 10, 1999, Friday, but you not only have to register (this part is free) but pay 2.50 to download it!

Well, anyway, there's the info.

------------------
-David
Old 09-21-99, 02:37 AM

I just watched it tonight, and all I can say is WOW!

The sound is incredible, but it was the artwork and the colors that really knocked me out! Absolutely amazing!

This definitely goes in my "Demonstration Disk" pile, to load up when I want to show my friends the glories of DVD.

--Ken
Old 09-21-99, 11:28 PM
Cool New Member

I agree - WOW! I received mine last week and already watched it 3 times. I play it on my computer in a small window while I'm surfing the web. Can't wait until I have time to watch in on my TV with surround sound! I never saw the movie before, but now it is one of my favorites.

Rachel
Old 09-22-99, 02:09 PM

I think this disc demonstrates what can and should be done not just to save classic films, but for preservation on DVD. A whole new generation will now get to know and love the Beatles, and this funny film.

------------------
Bob
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~bobmandel.asp

[This message has been edited by bob_mandel (edited 09-22-1999).]
Old 09-24-99, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
This movie is so cool! The menu is great with all the Easter eggs and the opening portion of the disc when you first pop it in is also great!

And to hear all those Beatle tunes in 5.1 is very cool!

One of my favorite lines: When the B's were in the room with all the Sgt. Pepper instuments and the all sing "HIDE!"