Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is prince of egypt a movie for kids ?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Is prince of egypt a movie for kids ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-99, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven`t seen this one and I`m not sure whether I should buy it.
I loved ANTZ but thought A bug`s life was just okay.
I`m not into Disney animation. Do they sing a lot in that movie ?
What do you think is it worth a purchase ?
Old 09-03-99, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,206 Likes on 4,233 Posts
Is the Bible for kids? The Prince of Egypt is a very faithful adaptation of the story of Moses, more so than "The Ten Commandments". It is intense at points, but not terribly so and is intended for all audiences. It takes itself rather seriously (as it should) and couldn't be described as "a lot of fun", but it is beautifully animated and would be a great way to teach children an important Bible story. Also the DVD looks to be very nice and loaded with extras.
Old 09-03-99, 02:58 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes when people ask if a movie "is for kids?" they mean can they just pop a movie in the player and walk away.

I don't think that this would be a good idea with small or very impressionable children because of the scene where the Egyptian's first born are killed.

Otherwise, it's actually a pretty entertaining movie, but I have to agree that with the previous poster that this movie should serve as a good starting point for parents to explain an important religious event to thier children and to help further the family's understanding and interpretation of their religion.

Please note, I'm not saying that this film is filled with religious philosophy, just that it is a good way to start a family discussion about such things.

------------------
-David

Old 09-04-99, 01:18 PM

Oops. I think you misunderstood me. I`m just 20 and don`t have kids. I just wanted to know whether it is entertaining for adults as well.
Old 09-04-99, 04:19 PM
Mod Emeritus

Wild One,

My wife, Kim, and I went and saw it at the theater. She really liked it and I thought it was pretty good too. They did "embellish" on the story quite a bit though it was obviously done for the sake of keeping younger audience member interested. I'm still debating whether it was good enough to order though. (For someone who hasn't seen it, and couldn find it for under $10, I would recommend it... got any coupons left? )

D.
Old 09-05-99, 07:06 AM

OK, thanks a lot guys. I just cancelled my $12 Big Daddy order from DVDExpress and reordered it together with the Prince of Egypt for $20 w/coupon from Reel. I think that`s quite a good deal.
Old 09-06-99, 03:28 PM

I thought the movie had some incredible animation, and I thought some of the scenes held up pretty well for adults (My favorite is the dream sequence).

However, some of the songs and comedic bits that were thrown in for entertainment value detract from the movie for me.

At the showing in the theater, the kids seemed pretty bored to me, except during the chariot race, some of the musical numbers, etc.. In other words, during all the scenes I would have done without.

I think it chose the middle ground, and failed to appeal to either audience 100%. Though I'm sure there are plenty of people that would disagree.

I dig this movie about 70%, and will get the DVD to explore the extras, since I'm an animation fan, and because I want to support non-Di$ney animation until they get their act together.