Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Go! Mini-review

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-99, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is also over at Home Theater Forum

When I walked into a local retail shop, and saw this disc sitting there, taunting me, I couldn't resist. It had a big sticker tempting me with its "14 deleted scenes" and "3 music videos". I got it home and threw it in my trusty player, and I must say, Sony really is one of the kings of DVD. Honestly, I can't figure out how they can manage to get such amazing quality out of a disc with letterbox AND pan-and-scan versions. Ok, on to my impressions.

First of all, let me say the one negative thing I have to say in this section. Sony, you're featurettes are featureless! Ok, on to the good stuff. First of all, music videos on most releases are bad. REALLY BAD. This is definitely NOT the case on this disc! The No Doubt video is really good, shot 2.35, and not a bad song either. The other cool video is for "Magic Carpet ride". The four guys in the "Vegas" segment get up there and lip-sync to the song, which is actually much cooler than it sounds. Breckin Meyer even seems to be able to play the drums competently. There's a third video too, but it's not nearly as good as the other two. Now, I'll talk about the deleted scenes. The box says "14 deleted scenes!" on it, but that's a slight misnomer. Some of them are bona fide deleted scenes, but some are what I would describe as outtakes, as well as a few SHORT scene extensions. Still, they are very entertaining, and worthy of viewing. The one part that I really enjoyed (although I haven't had an opportunity to listen to the whole thing yet) is the commentary track by Doug Liman and the editor of the film as well. It's very informative.

All in all, I have to say that Go! is quite a full disc, and well worth the purchase (especially since it can be had for 20 bucks or less). I don't have a 16x9 TV (or Doubly Digital either) so I won't pretend to give you a technical overview of the sound and picture. But I will say this looked BETTER than Cruel Intentions (which looked damn good) and the audio seemed to be as dynamic as it was in the theater. Check it out for yourself on Tuesday!!!
Old 08-20-99, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
I CAN'T WAIT!! Go was my favorite film so far this year; or second behind The Matrix (I can't decide). Looks like it'll be a rockin' disc. I love that remix of "Magic Carpet Ride" What I want to know is which store aleady has it on their racks????
Old 08-20-99, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's ususally hit and miss. Just go to a couple of malls, maybe hit a couple of larger, clueless retailers. You usually can get stuff early that way. I had EdTV a week and a half early that way.