DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Kingpin

Old 05-12-99, 04:38 PM
Frank A

DVD is two sided, one side widescreen 2.35:1 (16x9 enhanced) and the other side full screen. The menus are animated & very well done. Skipping around, I could see that the widescreen transfer looks real good. Sharp, detailed, without alot of shimmering. The bit rate hovers between 3-6 for most of the movie. Maybe a dual layer could have increased the bit rate. But at the expense of the full frame transfer. Speaking of the 1.33:1 side, it also looks good. I noticed some aliasing, doubtless due to the images being blown up to fill the screen. You may prefer the full frame side since this movie was filmed in Super 35. The DD5.1 audio is very good. The music sounds great and there is plenty of surround activity. The added footage is integrated into the movie, consisting of scenes trimmed from the movie to give it a PG-13 rating. You can tell some of these scenes because they have nicks or scratches. I enjoyed listening to a little bit of the director's commentary. They do comment on the deleted scenes, i.e., reasons why they were deleted, etc. Great DVD by MGM.
Old 08-14-99, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could anybody tell me what these deleted scenes consist of?
Old 08-15-99, 12:17 PM

The deleted scenes are just some less tasteful scenes that were thrown into the movie. For example, one is where Woody Harrelson's character and Vanessa Angel's characters are fighting in the parking lot and in one part of the fight he starts puching her inflated boobs out and they jiggle all around. I defintely don't remember seeing that scene when I saw the movie previously. I thought the addition of the deleted scenes was great though and added a lot to the DVD.
Old 08-15-99, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, it WAS in there. I remember it vividly in the theater.
Old 08-19-99, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree . . . MGM did an outstanding job on this DVD . . . an active DD 5.1 soundtrack and a great anamorphic transfer.

Although this movie is the least recognized of the Farrelly Bros. movies, it might very well be their best . . . these guys must be a riot . . . "Kingpin", "Dumb and Dumber", and "There's Something About Mary"!!! . . . some of the funniest movies around!!!
Old 08-20-99, 04:09 PM

This one is definitely a gem. It baffled me when There's Something About Mary was so highly acclaimed. It was a good one, but Kingpin has been the Farrelly's best by far.

The deleted scenes didn't add much to the movie, but I'm glad they put them in. It's certainly better than Disney removing frames.