Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews of Pleasantville...

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews of Pleasantville...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-99, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
The package, picture, and sound were great.

The movie SUCKED. I found myself listening to the commentary to see where the director was coming from. And I find it incredible that they(Hollywood) think they are so smart.
How typical of Hollywood to twist any opposing views of how things can be in life.
Were there things in the town that needed to change? Yes. But a lot of the changes only brought grief and negative results.(Balance perhaps?)

The Adam and Eve reference in the film was more appropriate than the Director could ever have imagined. The analogy that they brought sin/negative energy into the world.I can see some of liberation as positive but I find it sad that they felt a marriage breaking up was positive.

Anyway, I will get flamed for this view but so what. That's what I see.

Old 08-11-99, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You weren't very specific about your complaints. I thought the movie was excellent (and as you admit, the DVD itself is very nice).

The idea of the movie is not that sex and sin lead to better lives; the idea is that expression and originality do. For some people, that meant being physical. For others, it means something else. I thought it was wonderfully acted. It was very funny and thought-provoking at the same time.

I can't really respond to what you said because you didn't say anything. Say something more specific about what you thought was wrong. Right now, all I can tell is that you didn't like the sin parts and thought the directors were full of themselves (which ones aren't?)
Old 08-11-99, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm sorry, Giantrobo but I must respectfully disagree. I thought Pleasantville was an excellent movie. The idea, I think, is that change happens and it isn't always as threatening as it seems to be. I thought the approach that Pleasantville took to bring this point across was quite original (town coming to color). I have often thought that if I taught a high school or college class (which I did in a previous life) I would ask my students to see Pleasantville. And to think I was a physics instructor!
Old 08-11-99, 04:27 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Giantrobo on this one.

In the courtroom scene the movie finally shows its "true colors" (sorry ). It is not the connotatively positive "expression" or "originality" that allows one to see color, but the free reign of one's feelings.

What I found ironic about this is that the kids start off in today's world where the increasing predominance of "feelings" has resulted in a me-me-me culture that involves far too much navel gazing. And after setting up our present as a bad thing, he goes off to an idealized TV show and proceeds to show that it's actually worse than our world today and then has his characters work to start the TV world on the path to our misguided present.

When I originally heard about this movie I refused to see it because it looked like just another smug bashing of the values of the 1950s. Then I heard about how great the DVD was so I decided to check it out. I want to see it again with the commentary, but I'm afraid my originally assessment of the film was correct.

I hope when Saving Private Ryan comes out, I won't be disappointed again.

------------------
-David
Old 08-16-99, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry GiantRobo and Blade, but this was an outstanding movie. The world of Pleasantville (before Tobie Maguire and Reese Witherspoons' characters are transported into that world) was a stagnant one. Those characters were in a rut. Same crap, day in, day out. This is a good thing?

I would posit that it was a world without free will. By changing colors (in whatever manner it took - each person arrives at this transformation in different ways - it's more of a matter of passion - not necessarily of a sexual nature - that causes the change), these characters achieve free will. This is also where the Adam and Eve analogy comes into play.

With free will comes consequences, change, and pain. That's life. What was going in Pleasantville was not life, it was static. After getting color in their lives, they are free to pursue their dreams. That a marriage might have been broken up for free will to reign is a good thing if that marriage made one or both parties miserable. It's okay to admit making a mistake and doing the best you can to fix that mistake. Frankly we don't really know if the characters played by William H. Macy, and Joan Allen get divorced. We don't know, it's left open-ended, like life. Either way, the freedom granted these characters in Pleasantville breathes life in all of them, invigorates them, challenges them, and that's a good thing.

The other thing about real life in general being portrayed as being a negative experience at the beginning: I did not interpret in that way at all. What I got was that life is hard, it's hard to put your heart out there for the world to shoot you down. But the rewards are so much greater than any risk taken to find love and understanding in this world. Tobie's looking for love and understanding, his sister is looking for it, his mother is looking for it, and after his Pleasantville experience, he comes to understand that you have to take life one unpredictable day at a time. But love and understanding are worth looking for even if it means you risk having your heart bruised and battered along the way. Once you get there, it'll all be worth it. Frankly, life is a process, it's a journey, not the destination.
Old 08-16-99, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Did you that originally The Rocky Horror Picture Show was going to be shot in B&W with the color coming in whe Frank N. Furter appeared? Ala Wizard of Oz.

Old 10-27-99, 07:20 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I rented 'Pleasantville' last night and watched it.

The movie was clean, the colors were sharp (but soft in some areas) and sound was good.

But then my wife flipped over to the 'Making Of" feature and I about fell asleep. This is what I remeber from the experience.

As they talked about make-up effects, all they did was move the camera from guy to guy as they talked and then when they showed footage, we couldn't figure out what they were talking about. It was just really bad. (Length: about 15 minutes)

Then they talked to the lighting guy. All it was was a different camera shot of some other guy at his desk, just blabbering about lighting a color movie vs. a black and white movie. No extra footage of the show, no footage of the show. Just him. (Length: about 10 minutes)

Now they had a segment called 'A Gift.' Same lighting dude, same camera angle, but this time he flipped through his bound copy of the storyboard, that the director gave to him as a gift. He just sat there and skipped back and forth. "Oh I like this." "Oh, this was different in the movie." "I like this page best." Blah, blah, blah! Thank the heaven he didn't open Volume 2. (Length: about 10 minutes)

Then they interviewed the painter of the mural shown on the wall of the library. They were just walking through his studio looking for some thing. I don't know what they were talking about, I was fast forwarding. I turned it off at this point.

But it did have the Fiona Apple video from the soundtrack on it and that was cool. But not redeeming.
Old 10-27-99, 11:28 PM
Film-Maker

I've had the DVD since it was released in February or March, and it is one of my favorites. While the behind-the-scenes stuff can get old fast, I think the redeeming qualities are in the two audio commentaries, one by the director, and one by the music guy. Plus, if you have DVD-ROM (I have both, but had DVD-ROM before my player), there is the script and some other cast info available. The Fiona Apple video is great, and I really enjoyed the trailer for the film as well. The behind the scenes may suck, but the commentaries and the ROM-features make it worth the $20 max you'll spend on it.

------------------
Christina Warren [email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Land/8977 -Visit Film Mania!!
ICQ # 1845645

Old 10-27-99, 11:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

This movie is the first movie that is a digital transfer (ahead of Bug's Life) plus it's anamorphic so it'a better than Bug's Life in resolution.

quote:<HR>just blabbering about lighting a color movie vs. a black and white movie.<HR>

The extras are great for anyone interested in those special effects, it's not their fault if they go over your head. I believe this movie was nominated for special effects, so it's only normal they concentrate on that. Don't forget to mention there is a commentary included (this one isn't the greatest, but it's better than nothing) and they also have the musical score with the score writer's commentary. The extras are excellent, it's truly a reference disc all around.
Old 10-28-99, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with both the movie review and the boring extras. You kind of have to realize though, people are behind the scenes for a reason. If they had any screen presence they would have a job in front of the camera. They are hired for their brains not their ability to entertain in person.

------------------
What's a videotape?
www.dvdtracker.com/~schrader.asp

Old 01-14-02, 05:51 PM
Suspended

Pleasantville?

What did you guys think of the movie Pleasantville?

How is the DVD?
Old 01-14-02, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
A fabulous film about the power of knowledge and emotion, in the face of intolerance. Many people think it's a somewhat weak parable about race relations, but race really doesn't have much to do with the story, literally or symbolically. (It's there, but it's not even close to the movie's main thrust.) It was one of my top 5 movies of 1998.

The DVD has a nice anamorphic 1.85:1 transfer that has only minor flaws. The best thing about the DVD (besides the movie itself) is a director commentary that ranks as the best (along with Ebert's on "Dark City") I've ever listened to.
Old 01-14-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Cujo13
A fabulous film about the power of knowledge and emotion, in the face of intolerance. Many people think it's a somewhat weak parable about race relations, but race really doesn't have much to do with the story, literally or symbolically. (It's there, but it's not even close to the movie's main thrust.) It was one of my top 5 movies of 1998.

The DVD has a nice anamorphic 1.85:1 transfer that has only minor flaws. The best thing about the DVD (besides the movie itself) is a director commentary that ranks as the best (along with Ebert's on "Dark City") I've ever listened to.
I agree with Cujo a lot. This DVD was one of the first ones I bought and it definitely made me a fan of DVD. Yes, the movie is full of symbolism, and it is also a fun movie to watch as well. Lots of great scenes including a bathtub scene that you won't soon forget. Then there's lots of extras as well including Fionna Apples music video of the Beatles "Across The Universe" which is the soundtrack over the movie's end credits. The commentary by Gary Ross is also very interesting. I especially like how he pointed out the various expressions of the indian on the TV test pattern. And then there's Reece, ummm-ummmm. This is a movie that I enjoy re-watching as well.
Old 01-14-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife and I did not like the movie on VHS. You only get a colorful life if you cheat on your husband?

We have not seen it on DVD.
Old 01-15-02, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
You only get a colorful life if you cheat on your husband?
That it NOT the moment when Joan Allen changes to color. It was the bathtub scene. (The cheating came after her character changed and she realized she did not want to be the person she used to be, and her husband was incapable or unwilling to give her the life that she now wanted.) And attempting to sum up the movie with one quick quip about just one character in the film obviously doesn't make any sense. Each person in the film colorized for their own individual reasons......whatever "change" was necessary for them.
Old 01-15-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed the movie and plan to add it to the collection one day.
Old 01-15-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Great movie (perhaps a little preachy through symbolism) and very enjoyable.

The DVD is fantastic. Great picture and sound quality.

The extras are very good also, especially the inclusion of Fiona Apple's video for "Across the Universe" (directed by her then boyfriend Paul Thomas Anderson).

You know it's a decent DVD when it's a NewLine Platinum Edition.
Old 01-15-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A very good movie with a clever premise, well-acted and directed, presented on a DVD with some very good extra features - it's a winner!
Old 01-16-02, 02:22 AM
Cool New Member

I haven't seen it, but a friend of mine said it was great and a must see!
Old 01-16-02, 04:25 AM

one thing that happened

the weirdest thing was, that when we came out of the theater it had started raining. and everyone leaving the theater was going, "whoa, this is some kind of sign" or "this is freaky".
Old 01-16-02, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great film and DVD! New Line knows how to make em'.....
Old 01-16-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Okay, now you guys have done it! Now, I'm going to have to pull it out this weekend and give it another spin.
Old 01-18-02, 03:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Fiona Apple may be a total Kook, but I loved her take on 'Across the Universe'. Amazing stuff ....

Might be worth a purchase on that alone.
Old 01-30-02, 04:38 PM

Old 02-01-02, 04:01 PM

An interesting movie, no doubt. And the DVD is loaded.

Plus, it is selling at a greatly reduce price most everywhere (I think its either $11.99 or $14.99 at Borders, for example).

Plus, it gives you a chance to watch Tobey Maguire basically play "Peter Parker" before he does it for real in Spider-Man on May 3.

No doubt that this performance is the one that made people think he could play 'ol Spidey.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.