Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Runaway Bride : Actually OK

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Runaway Bride : Actually OK

Old 07-30-99, 08:55 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being a twenty-something male with addictions to college football, dvd and my wife, I found this movie to be pretty entertaining. Definitely will be part of the DVD collection b/c the Mrs. liked it a lot.
Old 08-01-99, 10:57 AM

Being a 40 something male, I still agree with you. As we were leaving the theater, I told my wife that I guess I'd have to buy the DVD when it comes out. She agreed that it would be a nice addition to her small collection: Dirty Dancing, Ghost, and Pretty Woman.
Old 08-02-99, 03:18 PM

duna70 - it sounds like I'm almost in the same demographic as you, and I agree with your opinion. I liked this flick a lot more than I thought I would. I'm not sure what the critics were looking for: it was a very good romantic comedy, albeit a little long. There were quite a few extraneous scenes that were left in probably because of their humor, but in fact they weren't so humorous - the platypus, for example (not a real spoiler, don't worry). Bottom-line: good flick, and definitely on the Buy list. Fortunately, Paramount has domestic rights (distribution and I think video too), so it should be anamorphic. Buena Sh!tsa has only int'l rights, thank goodness.

--Jim

------------------
My DVD list
Old 11-15-01, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ttt!

10,467 pages and I finally found this thread.

J/k

Any other thoughts on this film? ....I am thinking about picking it up from CH. I like the chick-flicks and enjoyed their performance in Pretty Woman together.

Thanks
Old 11-21-01, 05:18 AM

Wow, what a blast from the past - a thread from more than 2 years ago!

I still stand by my 8/2/99 post above. It's a pretty good romantic comedy, and it does have rewatchability. The chemistry between Gere and Roberts is good, but not as good as Pretty Woman, IMO - probably b/c Roberts is now such a superstar and not as carefree or excited as she was back then. It's really the supporting players, especially Chris Meloni, Hector Elizondo, and as usual Joan Cusack, who do a great job and supply many funny scenes and lines.

Paramount delivered a nice package: clean anamorphic widescreen transfer, DD5.1 sound, and an interesting commentary from the director, Garry Marshall. It's worth a buy, especially at a CH average price < $10. HTH.
Old 11-21-01, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Garry Marshal makes me laugh everytime he talks. The commentary alone was worth it and I'm not usually a big fan of commentaries