Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review: "Cabaret"

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-99, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read some internet newsgroup posts debating whether or not "Cabaret" is a musical. I consider it to be a musical, and aside from being one of the last musicals to be brought to film, I think it is one of the best.

A well-crafted blend of drama, light comedy, and music, what struck me most about "Cabaret" was Liza Minnelli's performance. I've never been a fan of musicals, but found her perfomance to be mesmerizing.

The DVD, which I bought at Reel for $12.49, is a purchase decision that I do not regret, although I find the disc a little disappointing.

The transfer is acceptable in quality, but did not look as good as it should (I guess it's 25th anniversary back in 97 didn't warrant the painstaking transfer it deserves). It is not anamorphic, but it's screen aspect ratio is preserved in a widescreen format.

The DD 2.0 soundtrack, on the other hand, is a pleasant surprise. Everything, especially the show-stopping (literally, it's a finale) rendition of the title song, sounds clear and wonderful.

Extras: Cast and crew biographies/filmographies, background information on the story, text on location shooting (director Bob Fosse shot in Germany to give the film an authentic look and feel) and the musical contributions of John Kander and Fred Ebb, the famous compsing and lyrics duo. The many awards "Cabaret" received are also listed, the original theatrical trailer is included, and there are two documentaries, both short.

"The Recreation of an Era" was made in '72, and gives a behind the scenes look at filming. Fosse is briefly in it, for those interested, as he is basically only remembered throughout the other documentary and interviews. "Cabaret: A Legend in the Making" is a seventeen minute long short that was filmed a couple of years ago to commemorate the films 25th anniversary. It features interviews with the producer, the stars, screenwriter, and more.

Clips from the same interviews used in that documentary can be seen by accessing The Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery, which consists of 1-2 minutes of Minnelli, Grey, York, Martin Baum, Cy Feuer, Emanuel L. Wolf, John Kander, Jay Presson Allen, and Fred Ebb discussing various aspects of making the movie.

--Heather

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ahber16.asp
Old 07-17-99, 08:34 AM

Heather, thanks for the extremely thorough review. I think the "musical" debate probably stems from its origins. The stage version was clearly a traditional musical, where people burst into song in, among other places, their apartment, the street, etc. In the interest of realism(I presume), Fosse, in adapting the film, only included the songs from the club scenes. If it were done on stage this way, it might be called a play with music rather than a musical.

Of course, this all seems like splitting hairs to me. I don't know why some people are so obsessed with categorizing and labelling. Just thought you'd like to know the probable origin of the debate.
Old 07-17-99, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, GlennS. I only read the latter half of the discussion, and I believe you're right about it's origin.

--Heather

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ahber16.asp