Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews wanted: "Bound" and "Spawn"

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews wanted: "Bound" and "Spawn"

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-99, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm considering buying "Bound" and "Spawn", but have actually never seen either of the movies. Please post your thoughts on either of these movies to help me make up my mind.
Old 07-16-99, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Bound" is one of my favorite movies. It is a neo noir film about the plotting of gangster moll Violet (Jennifer Tilly) and her lover, Corky (Gina Gershon), recently released from prison, to rip off 2 million dollars worth of laundered money from Violet's mafioso boyfriend, Ceaser (Joe Pantoliano, and yes, for some reason the character's name is spelled like that). Of course, their plans go slightly awry. Writing/Directing duo Andy and Larry Wachowski's script takes everything to the extreme, including humor and violence.

Their is a real visual flair to the film, too. The actual plot and look of "Bound" is remniscent of classic film noirs, only with the added twist of Gershon playing what would typically be the male role. Great performances all around. For once, Tilly was suited for a role she was given . She has lots of chemistry with Gershon, and Pantoliano is intense to say the least.

The disc looks and sounds terrific, and contains a trailer and commentary. The Wachowski brothers, their editor, the three main stars, and sexpert Susie Bright (yeah, that was her job title in this instance) provide a hilarious and insightful commentary. For a relatively low priced ($17.99 online) DVD, "Bound" gives you a lot of bang for your buck.

*Anyone easily offended (i.e., lots of violence and some explicit Tilly/Gershon scenes) may want to consider watching something else, instead.*

--Heather

(Sorry I can't help with "Spawn")

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ahber16.asp

[This message has been edited by DVDer (edited 07-16-1999).]
Old 07-16-99, 06:06 PM

Location: <a href=http://www.dvdtracker.com/~dylan>My DVD's </a>
Does the Bound DVD differ at all from the theater release? I saw Bound in the theater and thought it was a good film but I found the Tilly/Gershon scenes dull. There was nothing explicit about them, unless just the fact two women being together signifies "explicit." In that case, Summer of Sam makes Bound look like an episode of Blossom. I always thought they must have had to edit the hell out of the film for its release, much like Eyes Wide Shut. Am I right abouth this? Any opinions?
Old 07-16-99, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, the DVD version differs from what was shown theatrically. The DVD is the unrated version. Although the only a few seconds longer, it is more explicit.

--Heather

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ahber16.asp
Old 07-16-99, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought the movie spawn was pretty lame. Some people like it, though.
Old 07-16-99, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
The SPAWN animated series on HBO is a better vehicle for the SPAWN franchise.

The movie was just OK
Old 07-16-99, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Based on the recommendations of many forum members, I bought "Bound" awhile back . . . I was pleasantly surprised.

From the directors of "The Matrix", this DVD kept my interest throughout . . . man, these Wachowski brothers really know how to visually stimulate on screen!!!

The commentary is supposed to be great . . . haven't found the time yet to hear it myself, though . . .
Old 07-16-99, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
i like spawn. the special effects are great. should be more like the comic book though. i mean..his death.