Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Rush Hour

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-99, 10:18 AM
polarbear

There may have already been a post about this, but is this a good DVD? What are the extras like, I am thinking with Jackie Chan in it, the outtakes should be good.
Old 06-14-99, 02:47 PM
Peken

I enjoyed this disc. The movie was entertaining, had some good action, funny lines, big things blowing up, etc. I haven't watched the entire making-of documentary, nor have I listened to the commentary track, so I can't comment on those. I have, however, enjoyed the deleted scenes as well as the outtakes (there are outtakes at the end of the movie, and there are more at the end of the documentary). Also, having bought this for $10 thanks to BigStar, I'd say I've gotten my money's worth.

Peken http://www.dvdtracker.com/~peken.asp
Old 06-14-99, 04:34 PM
Blade

I watched this on my PC so I may not have gotten the full impact, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by this movie.

It didn't seem to have the really incredible half funny/half I-can't-believe-he-did-that quality that I like in Jackie Chan movies (like Who Am I and Rumble in the Bronx).

It had some funny scenes though, but overall it had the feeling of an Americanized Jackie Chan movie.

But then I wasn't that impressed with Blade (the vampire movie not myself ) either, so take my opinion with big heaping spoonfuls of salt.

-David

--I forgot to add that the extras and picture and sound quality were incredible. I just wish they put this much effort into movies I really like.

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 06-14-1999).]
Old 06-14-99, 06:27 PM
The Zizz

I thought this was a great movie and a great disc. I think that Rush Hour is Chan's movie released theatrically in the US; much better than first strike, supercop, and mr. nice guy, op condor, a little more enjoyable than Rumble in the bronx. Chan is great, and Chris Tucker is hilarious. I haven't yet listened to the ocommentary, but the making of doc is really good. There's a ten minute bit showing chan coordinating a fight sequence that is really interesting. The deleted scenes aren't much. There are 2 music videos made by the director of the movie, one by Dru Hill ("How deep is you love")and one by Heavy D ("Nuthin' But Love); these videos also have commentary. A short film by the director called "Whatever happened to Mason Reese" is included, and it also has an optional commentary; this short is seriously twisted. If you have a dvd-rom, there's access to the script, a short game, and an easter egg that lets you find a short film the director made when he was a kid, called "Evil Luke Lee"--this is really strange.
I think Rush Hour is one of the best dvds I have, up there with Alien, LA Confidential,and Taxi Driver CE. It was well worth the $7.00 I paid for it (I bought it and Pulp Fiction for 9.99 from Bigstar, and then used a $10 coupon.)
Old 06-14-99, 08:14 PM
megafan

I really enjoyed the behind the scenes footage in this dvd. You get to see how Jackie's stunt team and the director work together. It's really interesting and makes the dvd more enjoyable. I thought the movie was great too.
Old 06-17-99, 04:10 PM
sonic

i really enjoyed this movie and i wish a sequel is in the works! from begining to end i enjoyed it. the sound and clarity is just to amazing for me! a big thumbs up there! as for the image quality..wow! newline gets busy although i am not dumbfounded by the snapper. wish newline makes their movies in amarays. anyways about rush hour if you dont own it and want laughs get it. you wont be disappointed. i have so far seen it more than 4 times. "DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH!?!"
Old 06-18-99, 09:24 PM
hanami

I think Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker are making Rush Hour 2 now. It should be released later the year. X'mas?

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~hanami.asp
Old 06-22-99, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I happened to rent this movie last weekend, and enjoyed every aspect of it. I will probably buy it is I can find it at a good price. To enjoy the movie, though, I think that you have to 1) like Jackie Chan's movies, 2) enjoy "buddy pictures", and 3) find Chris Tucker funny. If you only fit into 2 out of the 3, you might want to rent it to decide if you want to buy it.

I also enjoyed all the extras and both commentary tracks. This DVD killed most of my Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, and I mean that in the best possible way. I did not have a problem with sitting through the movie 3 times in a short period. Brett Ratner, the director, was very enthusiastic with his commentary, and I enjoyed hearing how he set up certain shots and which of Tucker's bits were improvised on the spot. I don't usually enjoy movies made by directors of music videos, as they often don't realize that they're now working in a different medium (see David Fincher's "Alien 3" to see what I mean). Ratner, however, definitely knows how to blend his experience from both mediums with exceptional results. This is a guy who loves every aspect of both art forms, and I'm really looking forward to seeing him expand into other genres.

The isolated music score was a mixed bag, but it was a treat to see Chan in action without sound effects. You can see how he borrows from silent films - Buster Keaton and Chaplan in particular. During the spots where there is no music, the composer comments on the score and other similar scores that he has done. Due to the nature of his commentary, it doesn't follow the on screen action. It sounds like the makers of the disc interviewed him, then cut his comments into bite-sized bits and found gaps in the music that were the appropriate length to insert the bits. Occasionally, the commentary trails off, so the film's dialogue appears until the next musical cue comes along. There are only a few of these breaks, and they are fairly short, so it's not a big problem. There are, however, times when the composer rambles on about scores for movies that I have not seen. I turned on the movie's captions so I could follow the movie when that happened.

The extra scenes that were cut from the movie were mostly short, and nothing was really lost by removing them from the movie. These were scenes that either didn't work, or interrupted the flow of the movie, so the director was right to remove them. There was one scene, however, that I would like to see added back into the movie - the scene where Tucker and Chan's character's stop at Tucker's partner's apartment and she insists on going with them to the party at the convention centre. I found it a little jarring that she was suddenly with them, as there was never any mention that she would be tagging along. Minor, I know, but it would have made her accompanying them seem a part of the flow of the story, and not just an excuse to have her there.

As mentioned before, the "making of" documentary is entertaining and more than just a "talking head" promo reel. The scene of Chan planning the fight sequence at the restaurant is fascinating and gives you and better appreciation for Chan's creative process. Chan initially plans it with someone who is off-camera - probably the assistant director, then Ratner comes in and the two work to get the scene to fit into the rest of the movie. It's probably not the way Chan is used to working, as he initially appears frustrated, then rises to the challenge and reworks the action to please both Rather and himself.

The blooper reel at the end of the movie is not as outrageous as those in most of Chan's other movies because this is his first "American" movie. Safety is a greater concern on US productions than it is in Hong Kong, so Chan was not put into situations where he could badly injure himself in the way the Hong Kong bloopers illustrate. The director specifically mentions this in his commentary. So to make up for the lack of "Chan hurting himself" bloopers, they've included scenes of Chan and Tucker blowing their lines to make up for it. Particularly funny is Tucker trying to say "Thank you" in Chinese. Chan comments to the camera (paraphrasing), "He thinks my English is bad. He can't even say three words in Chinese."

Bottom line - great movie with excellent supplementary material. Can't think of anything they could have added to improve the DVD, except MORE footage of Chan planning his stunts, or perhaps commentary with Chris Tucker - but getting Tucker to sit still for more and 2 minutes would probably be an impossibility.
Old 01-10-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by polarbear
There may have already been a post about this, but is this a good DVD? What are the extras like, I am thinking with Jackie Chan in it, the outtakes should be good.
Now you have part 2 to check out as well. Are you even alive? ....you have no profile or anything. Am I talking to the dead

Great movie! One of my favorite comedies of all-time!
Old 01-13-02, 08:40 PM

Rush Hour 2 definately has better special feautres then Rush Hour, but it was released much earlier so this is expected
Old 01-14-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loved Rush Hour better than Rush Hour II.

RH II did have better extras.