Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Out of sight and Murder at first??

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Out of sight and Murder at first??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-99, 03:47 PM
Vincente

Anyone has information about these movies (Out of sight and Murder at first). Are they worth to buy? or just rent?...

Thanks
Old 06-19-99, 07:38 PM
The Zizz

Out of Sight is a great movie, and a great dvd. A Universal CE, the disc has a 25-min making of, deleted scenes (one that is really funny) and one of the best commentaries I've heard with the director and writer.
Murder In The First was just an average movie. Good performances by Kevin Bacon and Gary Oldman, but the film didn't add up to much. Haven't seen the dvd though.
Old 06-20-99, 12:49 AM
Filmmaker

OUT OF SIGHT was something of a disappointment for me. It had good performances but I felt it was weakened by a script which tried too hard to be as witty and stylish as Tarantino (and yes, I know Elmore Leonard was doing his thing when Tarantino was playing little league, but Tarantino movies hit before the recent rash of Elmore Leonard films, so it's hard not to judge the latter against the former) and a self-conscious directorial style that seemed to call out, "Man, ain't this movie so cool?" If GET SHORTY was your cup of tea, you will probably disagree with me; otherwise, I'd say pass on it.

MURDER IN THE FIRST is a film many people were left unaffected by but, personally, I really enjoyed it. It has outstanding performances by Christian Slater, Gary Oldman and, most notably, Kevin Bacon. The cinematography and music score are both astounding. The film bears much in common stylistically with THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (though SHAWSHANK is a much better film), so if you liked the latter, chances are good you'll enjoy the former. I can't comment on the respective quality of the two discs since I own neither, but I do plan to buy MURDER IN THE FIRST at some point. One thing is for sure--I bet Christian Slater's hair looks incredible in digital !
Old 06-20-99, 01:36 AM
anglagard

"Out of Sight" is one of THE great films
of the last couple of years. Great cast,
great performances, wonderful dialogue,
fast moving action, and great direction from Steven Soderbergh. It made almost every critics Top 10 list, and it seems to be one of the most popular Special Editions among DVD fans. Outstanding extras, and the film itself gets better with each viewing.

"Murder in the First" is a decent film, but nothing special. I have a soft spot for prison movies, but this subject matter has been done much better in many other films.
Old 06-20-99, 02:16 AM
burgeon

Anglagard, I agree. Out of Sight is top-notch. I think that Steve Zahn stole the film rather deftly. That's not to say the others weren't great, I think it's Clooney's and Lopez's best to date, but Zahn's performance is what sticks out in my mind...
Then again I'm one of those Get Shorty fans too, so there's your grain of salt!

-burgeon

Old 06-20-99, 03:41 AM
anglagard

"Get Shorty" is DEFINATELY a classic. I hope the sequel will be as good.
Old 06-20-99, 08:44 PM
Blake

I'd also recommend Out of Sight. It's a great film and the Collector's Edition DVD contains some great extras.

My Out of Sight Review

-Blake
pardon the review, one of my first at my site
Old 06-21-99, 07:27 PM
The Zizz

I have to disagree with filmmaker's statement that if one liked shawshank they would like MITF; The Shawshank Redemption was one of my favorite movies, but I didn't enjoy Murder in the First at all. They do have a similar subject, but I don't think the subject matter was what caused people to like The Shawshank Redemption to such an extent.