DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

39 Steps ??

Old 06-02-99, 08:22 AM
polarbear

Just another question, should I get this movie? I know it is an old flick but is the DVD worth it. I am not out for 5.1 sound on this one, but I have seen it mentioned a few times.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by polarbear (edited 06-02-99).]
Old 06-02-99, 10:26 AM
BearFan

Polar:
The LaserLight version of 39 Steps is pretty solid. The audio has a few drops and the film is a little grainy at times, but it is watchable. Far superior to the Madacy Hitchcock titles.
Old 06-02-99, 11:30 AM
polarbear

Thanks for the info, I nearly ordered the 5 pack of Hitchcock movies, but they were Madacy titles. I guess I will order 39 Steps, can't refuse advice from a fan sorry just playing on your alias.

Thanks
Old 06-02-99, 11:48 AM
BearFan

I have 5 of the Madacy Htchcock titles. The reason I got them is that I do not have them on tape or any other format. If you are a big Hitch fan and want them, they might be worth it for a good price. Just be prepared for a lousy transfer
Old 06-02-99, 01:12 PM
polarbear

Well I might still get them, but I really want North By Northwest, and when I slow down a bit on my spending Vertigo is on my list.
Old 06-02-99, 01:22 PM
BearFan

Vertigo is a must get. They did a fantastic job on that disc and the restoration of the film. Buy, steal, borrow or do whatever you need to do to get Vertigo.

[This message has been edited by BearFan (edited 06-02-99).]
Old 06-02-99, 02:24 PM
ed

You may also want to consider:

Strangers on a Train
The Lady Vanishes (Criterion)

Both, very good on DVD.
Old 06-02-99, 03:40 PM
Sheik Yerbouti

Let's not forget Psycho. Another great disc loaded with extras. I second Strangers On A Train. Great looking disc that's resonably priced at most online sites. I got mine for less than $10 shipped from CDNow (used a coupon of course).

But what I'm really looking forward to is the release of Rear Window, my all-time favorite.
Old 06-02-99, 05:46 PM
BearFan

For excellent information on the status of Hitchcock DVDs, chek out this article on dvdfile.com:

http://www.dvdfile.com/disc/status_report/spotlight_report/alfredhitchcock.htm