Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Collectors, a must for any Collection, SPR-ish, even!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Collectors, a must for any Collection, SPR-ish, even!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-99, 05:27 PM
Woodpaq

New or avid collector,
I've just viewed a DVD that to my amazement doesn't get posted much, and that being GLORY. I cannot believe that after all this time reading about various war- related flix that I myself overlooked this one. I'll just start by saying that I finally bought this one because so many critics absolutely loved the DVD. Even critics who don't seem to like but 10% of most movies...check here:

http://199.182.37.139/clients/dvdfile/review/action.lasso

I'll just say that for a 1989 film of war, the raw, vintage, no-technology blunt nature of the civil war took me back to gripping the handles on my couch and crindging, much like I did on Saving Private Ryan. Running through the battlefield, smoke and dead bodies abound, muskets blasting, and cannons a-roaring with great blast and intensity, all done by a masterful 5.1 mix. Ohhh boy, lots of .1 sub information, good directionals, excellent score, and 16x9 enhanced picture, although I will admit the picture looked just a bit soft, but this is a great advantage when battle time commences, plus an A+ movie with an Oscar-studded cast. This is the pennacle war movie of the DVD generation to date (perhaps 'till SPR hits). I strongly recommend this movie to anyone who could stomach SPR and enjoy it.

Responses and opinions welcome, plus any other good war movies you recommend EXCEPT Das Boot (beaten to the ground, plus I own it and though it was a fairly good movie)

Regards,
WPQ

Old 05-13-99, 11:20 AM
bob_mandel

I second this nomination despite the fact that this DVD is basically devoid of extras.
To add to the above, this film one Oscars for best cinematography, sound, and supporting actor (Denzel).

Thanks for reminding me about this one...when you start to amass you sometimes forget what you got!
Old 05-15-99, 01:59 PM
Brion

GLORY is an incredible film! I'm not a big "war movie" person, but I'd recommend this very highly. Other films like this I've enjoyed (aside from DAS BOOT) are: PATHS OF GLORY, BREAKER MORANT, APOCALYPE NOW, and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. I'm glad PATHS is finally being released on DVD, and I'm hoping the forthcoming APOCALYPSE will be an extraordinary DVD of an extraordinary film!