DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

A Better Tomorrow - How are these DVD's?

Old 05-04-99, 06:32 AM
Nosebleed

I want to pick up the first 2 A Better Tomorrow DVD's. Anyone have these? How are they? Any comments would be greatly appriciated.

Kind regards,
Nosebleed

Old 05-05-99, 05:14 PM
Ed Sabol

I've been thinking about purchasing A Better Tomorrow myself, so I'm looking forward to a review by anyone who has these DVDs.

I'd also like to see a review of the Bullet in the Head DVD.

I'm a big fan of both John Woo and Chow Yun-Fat, but before I shell out $30-$35 a piece for these import DVDs, I'd like to hear about the video and audio quality, as well as what languange tracks and subtitles are available. I usually avoid English-language dubs in favor of hearing the original language track and reading subtitles, but it's nice to have an English language track when friends are over who may not feel the same way about subtitles. I've heard that some of the lamer Asian DVDs burn the subtitles into the transfer or force you to see the different Chinese subtitles along with the English subtitles. Any insight into these discs would be much appreciated.

Old 05-06-99, 02:09 AM
omi

I strongly recommend you rent "A Better Tomorrow 2" before shelling out $40-50 to buy it if you haven't seen it already. I thought the dubbing was not very good. Totally unrealistic voices, especially for Chow Yun Fat. You will know what I mean if you watch the scene in the Chinese restaurant. I didn't find the story very interesting either. Seems like the first one was a lot better. I haven't seen the 3rd series yet.

Old 05-06-99, 02:19 AM
Nosebleed

Thanks for your replies guys.

I've rented A Better Tomorrow and loved it. I got a subtitled copy of ABT2 off someone and thought it was decent; I enjoyed it and was happy that Chow Yun Fat was in it again, even though the whole twin brother thing was a little cheesy.

The ending was pretty cool as well with the axe and sword. I think I'd still like to have this one in my collection. Hell, even though it can't compare to ABT it's still way better than most American action flicks (IMHO).

What would be the best is if The Killer would get released again, but I don't see that happening soon.

Kind regards,
Nosebleed

Old 05-06-99, 02:24 AM
Nosebleed

Oops, I didn't read your reply very well, my apologies. :P

I don't really care too much about dubbing, I'd prefer to watch the movie dubbed anyways. Actually, I'd just like a better copy of this movie and why not the DVD?

Thanks again for your help!

Kind regards,
Nosebleed

Old 05-08-99, 09:48 PM
Philip Verdieck

I have both. The video quality is average->good. There are no permanent cantonese/mandarin subtitles burnt in. I have no idea about the dubs because I never listen to them. I'd much rather hear the actors emotions and read the subs...