Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Wanted: Review of Mercury Rising CE

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Wanted: Review of Mercury Rising CE

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-99, 09:23 PM
The Zizz

Has anyone seen this disc? I've seen it in stores, but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on the web. ANy comments on the movie itself would also be appreciated.
Old 05-01-99, 06:03 PM
The Zizz

guess not
Old 05-01-99, 10:34 PM
Filmmaker

Zizz, don't be bitter--I never knew you had asked this question, but now that your reply to your own question has brought the topic back to the forefront of this forum, I thought I'd mention that I had not seen MERCURY RISING until recently. Being a big fan of Bruce Willis, I thought there was a much-better-than-average possibility that I would enjoy the film. Also being a huge fan of Universal Collector's Edition DVDs, I was excited about the announced release of this title in this format. Sadly though, I finally saw the movie a couple of weeks ago on Starz! and thought it was little more than unmitigated crap! A TV-movie-of-the-week script carried along by some of the most lackluster performances in the main players' careers. I just read an interview with Bruce Willis wherein he mentioned that he realized his acting choices might have gone a little off-track when a friend told him that the three main action sequences in MERCURY RISING were directly lifted from past films of Mr' Willis'--and that's the truth. MERCURY RISING, unfortunately, proves to be derivative, laconic, and unmemorable. It will not be joining my DVD library in either Collector's Edition or movie-only edition form, and I would encourage you to spend your money elsewhere.
Old 05-02-99, 12:05 AM
BearFan

I'll agree with Filmmaker. I saw this movie in the theater and though it was bad. I'd recommend renting it first and make sure you like it before shelling out the $
Old 05-02-99, 08:21 PM
The Zizz

Thanks guys. I guess I won't bother with this one. When I typed guess not, I was commenting that I don't think anyone has bothered with the CE dvd, especially when Universal released a standard edition a few months earlier. I would bet that it is easily one of their least selling CEs ever.