DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Wanted: Mighty Joe Young

Old 04-13-99, 07:13 PM
JPierre

I hear that this movie is a sleeper?
Old 04-14-99, 12:57 PM
Crimson Dynamo

Critics are much too unforgiving. I found it entertaining and it works for both the kid in me and for my kids. Its good fun and the FX are fine if not very good. I am not sure if it is a "sleeper" but it qualifies as a "keeper".
Old 04-16-99, 06:49 PM
mdean

I anxiously waited for this title to come out on DVD but finally broke down and rented the VHS tape. Thank goodness. As much as I love Bill Paxton, and the Mighty Joe Young himself, the story does not cut it for me.
Old 04-17-99, 10:18 PM
Wayne Thomas

"Mighty Joe Young" is an excellent movie. The special effects in it are unbelievable! Very comparable to "Jurassic Park". I didn't think that I was going to like this movie, but it turns out to be a really good movie. It has a Steven Spielberge feel to it. The music is composed by the same guy, James Horner, that composed "Titanic's" soundtrack. This movie may not have the best plot ever made, but I found it to be very interesting and suspenseful. This movie is really good for everyone. I am glad to have atleast one movie in my DVD collection that does not contain language that is not allowed on normal television broadcasting.
Old 04-19-99, 02:46 PM
PoorBoy

People really liked this movie? The only reason I watched it was to see the monkey sit on some cars (had to wait 1 1/2 hours to see it too). I really didn't like the movie at all, with the exception of the girl of course (thank you Playboy for putting her in the most recent issue). If you have kids I bet they love it, if you're over the age of 13, they mostly likely won't. As for being on the same level as Jurassic Park? I'm not so sure about that. I don't think we'll see Mighty Joe winning any Acamdemy awards...
Old 04-21-99, 09:34 AM
Oliver

You have to take this movie for what it is; a kid's movie, ages 3-12 or so. It's a great family movie, simple story and plot, yet very entertaining. I find the special effects pretty good for the most part, though there are some scenes when MJY is in the city that are poor CGI renderings. The best special f/x I think is when we first see the full grown MJY, running away in the field from the jeeps.
As far as DVDs go, the picture quality is excellent. Only have a 4:3 RPTV, so it being non-anamorphic isn't an issue with me. The sound quality is top notch. Good use of the .1 bass channel, and good ambience effects from the surrounds, especially the jungle noises.
I recommend this one if you're looking for a good family movie that kids of all ages can watch, and if you're an grown-up who's a kid at heart.
Old 04-26-99, 05:07 PM
Saylor57

We aren't talking Citizen Kane here but I enjoyed the film very much. I went with a nine year old nephew, who also knew the original well, and we both cheered many of the fun touches such as Joe Young climbing, a la the empire state building, the movie house were King Kong premiered. We also enjoyed seeing Ray Harryhausen (who is now known to have done most of the animation for the original MJY) in the party scene.

Maurice
Old 04-26-99, 05:16 PM
Saylor57

BTW, I forget to mention, has the meaning of the term "sleeper" changed? It use to mean something that was wonderful but nowone realized it yet and that when they did it would be a great hit. Is that what the first poster ment? It wasn't how it was taken.

Maurice
Old 01-10-02, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 replies
1 view >>>>> OK

Anyhow, I plan to add this to the collection one day in the near future. A dvd that I can watch over and over with my daughter.
Old 01-13-02, 02:52 PM

What's with resurrecting all the really old review threads?
Old 01-13-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Comm Taggert
What's with resurrecting all the really old review threads?
I don't know.....

...just was looking at the earlier threads and thought I'd comment.