Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Ronin

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-99, 11:30 AM
elipkin

When I put Ronin into my player,my expectations were pretty low. A friend of mine described it as "smarter Mission Impossible". Well, I HATED mission imposible. Not that I hate action movies in general, I just do not like it when they are pretending to me something much deeper that they really are.

Ronin was a pleasant surprise. Overall I liked the movie. Pretty good performances by the actors. Good action sequences, twisting plot. I found a few "holes" like a "former SAS guy" taking a job from IRA. I have a lot of Brit friends and they all laught at the idea. Those two groups HATE each other.

The plot was in general pretty good (IMHO), there was an obvious flash back to Pulp Fiction because we do not really know what's in the case everybody is after. I did not like one scene where the bad guy is threataning to shoot a little girl. No, I am not sentimental, is was just too much of a rip off of Assasins which I hated.
I liked the director's style of painting in broad strokes and not dewlling on little details too much. A lot is left to the imagination and that's the way he wanted it to be. I watched the movie and the commentary (full length) back too back and like the commentry. He talkes both about the tech stuff and the philosoph of making this movie.

Transfer is very high quality. Picture is normally grim and subdued, but that's the way it is supposed to be. A lot of good sound effects.
I realize that my likeing of the movie is highly subjective, but I think it is definetly a "RENT" and for me may be a "BUY"
Eugene
Old 04-08-99, 11:59 AM
Blake

The Ronin DVD is worth it for the car chase scenes only. See my review below:

Ronin Review

Blake Kunisch | [email protected]
An Outermost Experience! | DVD Tracker List
Old 04-09-99, 03:42 PM
DelGrec

I agreee, the car chases were great, but I can't see myself watching the movie over and over again. I liked it, but I couldn't find any reason to keep it in my collection.
Old 04-09-99, 06:53 PM
Bru

Del,
I agree with you!
Old 04-10-99, 02:00 AM
Ceej

Funny, I thought Ronin was probably one of the 5 best of 1998... good action, interesting story, solid characters, cool direction. Granted, it was nothing groundbreaking, but what it did it did very well. To each their own, of course.
Old 04-10-99, 10:20 AM
jasonbird

I've watched this movie 4 times now. Once
in the theater and 3 times since I bought the
DVD. I'm a big Deniro fan and Jean Reno
is awesome too. I'm also really starting to
like Natascha McElhone .
A must have movie(in my collection anyway).
Jason
Old 04-10-99, 01:09 PM
Blake

jasonbird, I suggest you visit the Labyrinth of Beauty at Oxygenesis.com. This is one of the most beautifully designed sites I've seen and it has a great collection of pictures of Natasha and others.

Blake Kunisch | [email protected]
An Outermost Experience! | DVD Tracker List
Old 04-15-99, 12:13 PM
PoorBoy

If you're going to buy ANY DVD for a car chase scene it should be Blues Brothers...I bought the Collectors Edition and it is truely incredible.
Old 04-18-99, 12:37 PM
Tygre14

Poor Boy--I agreed with your comment about Blues Brothers (and also French Connection) until I rented Ronin just last night. Wow! I don't know how I missed it in the theatre. I'm about to order it right now--for the great dialogue and plot twists, the amazing sets (Katarina Witt's scene was unprecedented), and, yes, for the unbelievable car chases. I don't think John Belushi could fit through the narrow spaces the BMWs of Ronin speed!

[This message has been edited by Tygre14 (edited 04-18-99).]
Old 04-21-99, 04:43 PM
bahrwood

Nobody has mentioned it, but the commentary track on this film is quite good. Give it a listen to if you like the film at all. Some things may come to light.
Old 04-23-99, 02:44 AM
RossMAN

DelGrec - I'm with you, it compliments (actually started) my DVD collection and I enjoyed the film. I'll probably watch it a few more times but I cannot see myself addicting to watching it sort of like a good comedy (The Big Lebowski, Happy Gilmore) or a good drama (Good Will Hunting) or a great sci-fi (The 5th Element). At least I got a great deal on "Ronin" and the car chase sequences really are something.

I also wonder what was in that mysterious case? Don't forget about the alternate endings feature.
Old 08-08-02, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.1 channels during the car chases?

Hey, do they utilize the 5.1 channels well during the car chase scenes? Or are the roaring engines and screeching tires coming from the front and sub?
Old 08-09-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best Buy had it for $8.99 the last time I was there.......
Old 08-10-02, 01:29 AM

It's one of my favorite action movies. Most of the chase scenes in Blues Brothers were lifted from another film. Memory fails for now, but it will come to me...
Old 08-10-02, 02:13 AM

:::Push::::

You just got ambushed by a cup of coffee

Go sean bean!
Old 08-10-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great Movie! Love the chases...anything with Deniro is good...well except Rocky and Bullwinkle.
Old 08-10-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by elipkin
I found a few "holes" like a "former SAS guy" taking a job from IRA. I have a lot of Brit friends and they all laught at the idea. Those two groups HATE each other.
Wasn't that character shown to be a poseur and wannabe who lied about his SAS experience?
Old 08-11-02, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by ipkevin
Wasn't that character shown to be a poseur and wannabe who lied about his SAS experience?
Sure he was...
Old 08-11-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ineluki

Sure he was...
So then it isn't unreasonable that he would work for the IRA...
Old 08-15-02, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great film...best car chase I have ever seen.
Old 08-19-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just bought this today for $9.99 at BB and am looking forward to seeing it

I couldn't resist the price
Old 08-20-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, too, like this movie. I've been tempted to pick it up at my local BestBuy. Everytime I see it I have been able to restrain myself. I keep reminding myself that there is a rerelease that is suppose to be out (hopefully soon)
Old 08-23-02, 07:45 PM
Cool New Member

so what color is the boathouse at Hereford? really?