DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Twilight Zone episode DVDs??

Old 04-14-99, 01:31 PM
Crimson Dynamo

Fellow DVDs fanatics,
Anybody out there have any experience or comments on this series on DVD? I am about to get 4 or 5 of them for 17.45 at 800.com but I first wanted to see if the collective has any input.

Old 04-15-99, 12:51 AM
Greg Lovern

I pre-ordered volume 10 the day it was announced because it has the episode "Once Upon a Time", which stars one of my favorite actors, Buster Keaton. I watched that episode as soon as I got home the day it arrived.

I thought the quality was great. I was especially impressed with how free of digital artifacts the intertitles were (intertitles are the frames of text in silent films), because that's often where the most obvious digital artifacts are (compare "The Chaplin Mutuals"). But the whole episode looked great, too.

Maybe someday I'll watch the other 3 episodes on the disc. I'm not a Twilight Zone fan, just a Buster Keaton fan.

Old 04-15-99, 12:56 AM
BearFan

I rented vol. 4 from Netflix and enjoyed it, good video quality and it is nice watching the with no commercials. I wish they would come out with the 1 hour episodes though. I have seen all the 30 min ones a million times.

You might want to just buy one and see if you like it before shelling out $50 for several of them. With 800.com you at least do not have to worry about paying shipping so you end cost will be the same if you order them all together or one at a time

[This message has been edited by BearFan (edited 04-14-99).]

Old 04-15-99, 01:46 AM
jbuchman

I also rented one from NetFlix, and I was thoroughly impressed. I'm also surprised at how many volumes they are churnning out. I'm hoping to get a copy of all of them for my own collection, but I think I've been a little too spoiled by this forum -- I don't wanna spend $17 a piece for them!

Old 04-15-99, 12:43 PM
Crimson Dynamo

Thanks for the feedback. I am a big TZ and Outer Limits fan and I aim to collect all the episodes that affected me then and now. As to price, compared to Amazon (+ shipping) and Suncoast (can you say MSRP?) (+tax), anything under $20 for a DVD is becoming more and more fair game to me. I am finding my time getting too precious to always "surf" down a better deal and then weigh shipping cost + "is there a coupon?", and other factoids. I dunno. I just want my DVDs.....

Old 04-15-99, 07:13 PM
David Akers

Regarding the hour long episodes, you aren't missing much. They were often padded to fill the hour. Having said that, I am looking forward to them myself, if only for completeness. I have heard rumors that those episodes will be coming soon, however.

Every disc has been superlative, given the age of the source materials. Plus you get great text extras by Marc Zicree, who wrote the number one episode guide to the series. I'm afraid I butchered the spelling of his name, but you will know who I mean.

-David