Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk reviews for Wednesday, July 10th, 2019

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-19, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DVD Talk Collector Series
This Island Earth (Blu-ray)
<small>by Stuart Galbraith IV</small><hr />

One of the best and most emblematic science fiction films of the 1950s, This Island Earth (1955) is a title that, in just the past few years, seems to finally be gaining the respectability it has so long deserved. Though its story emphasizes its mystery elements in its first two-thirds, and blood-and-thunder sci-fi action thereafter, most of it is intelligent and adult, many critics wrongly labeling it a "space opera" primarily for kids. It certainly was undeserving of the "riffing" it got from the producers of Mystery Science Theater 3000, which used an edited version of This Island Earth for their 1996 theatrical feature.

Blu-ray editions released in France and Germany preceded Shout! Factory's new American Blu-ray. These generated some fan controversary, some complaining about their 1.85:1 widescreen aspect ratios while others found fault with the color timing. (This Islan...Read the entire review »

Recommended
Heroes Shed No Tears (Blu-ray)
<small>by Ian Jane</small><hr />

The Movie:

Directed by John Woo in 1986, just before he'd come to international acclaim for his bullet ballet masterpieces Hardboiled and The Killer, Heroes Shed No Tears may lack the poetry of his better pictures but it still makes for a fun time at the movie.

The story follows Chan Chung (Eddy Ko), a tough hired by the government of Thailand to lead his rag-tag group of Chinese mercenaries on a mission to put an end to a local drug problem. Their mission is to cross a border or two and capture, then return to Thailand, the general behind the drug smuggling going on in the area. The men make their way to the target and, after a showdown, make their escape with him only to be followed no just by his troops but a small Vietnamese army whose leader is out to get revenge against Chung and things all go south from there.

Somewhat famously recut and even par...Read the entire review »

Rent It
Peppa Pig: Peppa Easter Bunny
<small>by Ryan Keefer</small><hr />

The Show:

Not going to lie, think I'm a touch melancholy when it comes to this installment of Peppa Pig. I've reviewed several of these titles for "The Talk" already, largely because my son has liked seeing them and has a little bit of the merchandise from the show. However, I think we may have moved on a little? Someone has started taking note of different shows on Nick Jr., and I'm not sure how to handle it.

Anyway, Peppa Pig The Easter Bunny is a collection of self-explanatory episodes around Easter and the Easter bunny. The web shorts run about 5-6 minutes each and don't overstay their welcome, running just over one hour in total. Ranging from Series 3-5, they get into all of the members of Peppa's family (Daddy and Mommy Pig and Peppa's little brother ...Read the entire review »