Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk reviews for Monday, April 29th, 2019

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highly Recommended
The Golden Head (Blu-ray)
<small>by Stuart Galbraith IV</small><hr />

An all but "lost" Cinerama film, unseen by the general public for nearly half a century, The Golden Head (1964) is a movie this writer has been anxious to see since the 1980s, when I first became aware of it in Robert E. Carr and R.M. Hayes's book Wide Screen Movies. A U.S.-Hungarian production, it premiered in Hungary in December 1964 and in London the following spring, but had few other European engagements and was never released in the United States at all. Apparently, it wasn't until Cinerama Inc.'s restoration, supervised by David Strohmaier, that it received limited public showings in America, beginning in 2012.

The reason for its disappearance was simple: the movie received tepid reviews and bombed in London, playing less than two months before it was unceremoniously pulled. (The more popular Cinerama releases ran six months or more, the biggest hits more than two years.) Mislea...Read the entire review »

Recommended
Vice (Blu-ray)
<small>by Jesse Skeen</small><hr />

The above text introduces this movie, which gives us a good idea of what we're in for. Yes, this is about former Vice-President Dick Cheney, and it's clear from the get-go that it was made by people who don't like him. My own view of the Bush-Cheney era was that it would make at least one good movie someday. (Oliver Stone quickly put out W which I still haven't gotten around to watching.) Vice at first glance looks like your standard political drama, but it's handled in a darkly comic fashion with many of the filmmakers coming from a primarily comedic background.

Christian Bale plays Cheney, and gets most of his mannerisms down pat. The amazing thing however is how he pulls off looking like him, largely...Read the entire review »

Skip It
Grand-Daddy Day Care
<small>by Ryan Keefer</small><hr />

The Movie:

So I think Universal's Grand-Daddy Day Care may be the final part of an unwanted trilogy? Follow me for a second; there was 2003's Daddy Day Care with Eddie Murphy, then 2007's Daddy Day Camp with Cuba Gooding Jr. Now there's this one, and I'd imagine a Grand-Daddy Day Camp isn't far away. Or maybe it is and that's the idea, to make people forget about these things.

Robbie Fox (In the Army Now) and David Steinberg wrote the screenplay that Ron Oliver directed. It tells the story of Frank (Reno Wilson, Officer Downe), a bestselling author who hasn't had a hit in a while. He and his wife take in his father in law Eduardo (Danny Trejo, <a ...Read the entire review »