Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Zombies of Mass Destruction" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 5

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Zombies of Mass Destruction (2009)

Selected by mrcellophane

IMDB ENTRY

ON YOUTUBE

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-04-15, 11:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: "Zombies of Mass Destruction" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 5

YouTube link looks either dead or limited to certain devices.
Old 10-04-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Zombies of Mass Destruction" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 5

Originally Posted by Trevor
YouTube link looks either dead or limited to certain devices.
Odd. It's working on my PC and Android phone (LG G3) but my Roku 3 brings up a "video format not supported" error.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-04-15 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 01:26 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Initially I stayed away from Zombies of Mass Destruction because of it's oddly political title. I found some of the awkward commentary to carry through the film itself, especially early on, and couldn't tell if I appreciate it's attempt to be more relevant or found it preachy and slightly dated (maybe I'm wrong but it seems like America has evolved past it's initial post-9/11 prejudices). A lot of the acting seemed amateur, which I think helped the charm of the movie but overall it felt like an indie Shaun of the Dead 'zombie rom com.' I do like that two of the leads are gay because that seems like another socially conscious way the film tries to mess with people's misconceptions. There was liberal amounts of fake blood (despite short screen time for the gnashing undead) and the film seemed to get funnier as it progressed (I think I got into the 'this is a political/social cartoon more than a zombie film' zone). The film just 'magically ends' but that seems to fit the tone of the film (focused more on human social conflict rather than zombies). I think I liked ZMD but wish it has been a little more subtle.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-05-15 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-05-15, 06:10 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Odd. It's working on my PC and Android phone (LG G3) but my Roku 3 brings up a "video format not supported" error.
I got that same error on my Roku. And it doesn't work on the AppleTV either. It says "Video Unavailable".
Old 10-05-15, 09:46 AM

After trying a crap ton of YouTube links that went nowhere, and sketchy foreign google hits that would play for a minute or so, I finally got the above YouTube link to work on iOS on about the fifth try.

Not sure how I feel about the film. It was competently made, and it was nice to see the attempt at social commentary on two different fronts, but it just felt pretty average overall.
Old 10-05-15, 04:00 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Surprisingly, almost all of the comments are on how YouTube is not working. As far as the movie goes, if you ignore all of the political comments, I thought there was a considerable amount of blood and gore, so I agree that the zombie portion of the movie was average.
Old 10-05-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I was glad that this film was chosen for as the subset film for LGBT day. I cannot claim that it's a great film, but I think it's a nice indie zombie romp. It's been a number of years since I've seen the whole thing. I caught about 30 minutes of it before leaving for work this morning - stopped right after the musician boyfriend is eaten - and will hopefully finish later tonight after going out with some friends.

The thing I most appreciated about the film when I first saw it was the slightly irreverent reframing of common queer storytelling tropes. We all have a coming out story, and these dominant queer films, so I get some mischievous joy out of a zombie attack interrupting and negating the need of the coming out. It's also a fun, literal staging of worst fears - your family and friends will descend on you.
Old 10-05-15, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by orlmac
Surprisingly, almost all of the comments are on how YouTube is not working. As far as the movie goes, if you ignore all of the political comments, I thought there was a considerable amount of blood and gore, so I agree that the zombie portion of the movie was average.
Hopefully it's working for everyone now, and the earlier issues were momentary glitches.

The gore was pretty good. But with a weak ending it was pretty average outside of the social commentary.
Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I was glad that this film was chosen for as the subset film for LGBT day. I cannot claim that it's a great film, but I think it's a nice indie zombie romp. It's been a number of years since I've seen the whole thing. I caught about 30 minutes of it before leaving for work this morning - stopped right after the musician boyfriend is eaten - and will hopefully finish later tonight after going out with some friends.

The thing I most appreciated about the film when I first saw it was the slightly irreverent reframing of common queer storytelling tropes. We all have a coming out story, and these dominant queer films, so I get some mischievous joy out of a zombie attack interrupting and negating the need of the coming out. It's also a fun, literal staging of worst fears - your family and friends will descend on you.
Good points there, and yes, that coming out to his mom scene was well staged.
Old 10-05-15, 05:00 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

I didn't hate this as much as I thought I would. I was expecting to be annoyed by the political commentary. But it wasn't smart enough to be annoying. Instead it was just lazy, cardboard cutout stereotypes that lacked any bite. So at worst, it was a horror/comedy that wasn't funny. I only chuckled maybe 2-3 times the whole movie.

The zombie part was decent. The special effects were well done and there was lots of blood and guts. But as a zombie film, there was nothing unique or memorable.

Overall, it was fairly average. Worth a watch once. But I doubt I'll ever watch it again.
Old 10-05-15, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I didn't hate this as much as I thought I would. I was expecting to be annoyed by the political commentary. But it wasn't smart enough to be annoying. Instead it was just lazy, cardboard cutout stereotypes that lacked any bite. So at worst, it was a horror/comedy that wasn't funny. I only chuckled maybe 2-3 times the whole movie.

The zombie part was decent. The special effects were well done and there was lots of blood and guts. But as a zombie film, there was nothing unique or memorable.

Overall, it was fairly average. Worth a watch once. But I doubt I'll ever watch it again.
Agreed 100%. Couldn't have said it better myself, and I thought I'd be the only one to feel that way.
Old 10-05-15, 08:14 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Initially I stayed away from Zombies of Mass Destruction because of it's oddly political title. I found some of the awkward commentary to carry through the film itself, especially early on, and couldn't tell if I appreciate it's attempt to be more relevant or found it preachy and slightly dated (maybe I'm wrong but it seems like America has evolved past it's initial post-9/11 prejudices).
Depending on where you are... you are, sadly, wrong. Some people have switched prejudices back to the more common targets, but there's still a LOT of it about.

A lot of the acting seemed amateur, which I think helped the charm of the movie but overall it felt like an indie Shaun of the Dead 'zombie rom com.' I do like that two of the leads are gay because that seems like another socially conscious way the film tries to mess with people's misconceptions.
Complete with Conservative/religious bigotry and 'conversion' "therapy".

There was liberal amounts of fake blood (despite short screen time for the gnashing undead) and the film seemed to get funnier as it progressed (I think I got into the 'this is a political/social cartoon more than a zombie film' zone). The film just 'magically ends' but that seems to fit the tone of the film (focused more on human social conflict rather than zombies). I think I liked ZMD but wish it has been a little more subtle.
I did find it an interesting meta-comment that at the end the super liberal politician succombs to the system and supports everything she should hate. That was about the only social-commentary surprise, and quite a subtle clever one.
Old 10-05-15, 08:17 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
That also led to one of the better lines:

"That... was how my Dad reacted."
Old 10-05-15, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

"Mom, I suck dick"
I probably won't hear a more memorable quote for the rest of this marathon.

Though the political commentary didn't come off as too heavy-handed to me, the very last scene felt very out of place compared to the rest of the film. It was like an alternate ending that the filmmakers were pressured to throw in.

Good, fun subset pick overall. And it was a blast to see "Doc" from Z NATION in here!
Old 10-05-15, 09:43 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I did find it an interesting meta-comment that at the end the super liberal politician succombs to the system and supports everything she should hate. That was about the only social-commentary surprise, and quite a subtle clever one.
I liked that aspect of it, too, even though it was telegraphed once she got her hands on a gun and the mayor in her sights during the zombie outbreak.

This is probably the subset film that I was looking forward to the least, but it turned out to be okay. You summed it up accurately with your comments, Dave. I, however, MAY find myself revisiting it again, simply because I thought that the lead actress was super-attactive.
Old 10-05-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I, however, MAY find myself revisiting it again, simply because I thought that the lead actress was super-attactive.
We're only in the 5th day of this particular challenge but I can not BELIEVE how many beauties I have ran into thus far!

...Which reminds me of another sequence that didn't fit with the rest of the movie, the nail scene. GAH!!!
Old 10-05-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
"Mom, I suck dick"
I probably won't hear a more memorable quote for the rest of this marathon.

Though the political commentary didn't come off as too heavy-handed to me, the very last scene felt very out of place compared to the rest of the film. It was like an alternate ending that the filmmakers were pressured to throw in.

Good, fun subset pick overall. And it was a blast to see "Doc" from Z NATION in here!
Yeah, good line. (Cannot imagine saying that to my mother.) Another good line: "Don't shoot! I'm gay!"

While some of the political commentary is a bit heavy, I thought some of it was handled fairly well and reminded me of Dawn of the Dead. Some of it was spot on. I can imagine some factions of people blaming a zombie attack on "giving in to the gays" and other liberal leanings resulting in a "godless world". I also loved the Democratic teacher becoming a conservative mayor after the disaster - reminded me of shifting in personal political leanings after 9/11.
Old 10-06-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
This is probably the subset film that I was looking forward to the least, but it turned out to be okay.
I'm about the same. There's no way I'd normally want to watch something like this but the cast and crew had some talent. Not perfect but definitely something worth watching once.
Old 10-06-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It had it's moments. I agree on the cardboard cutout factor it seemed to have going for it.

As for watching, I had to resort to using a USB -> HDMI cable/charger to play from my tablet, but have it displayed on my TV. The resulting quality is quite good, and I recommend having such a cable on hand for situations such as this.

Link to the cable I use: Amazon
Old 10-07-15, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree, though it isn't really worth a watch. Had the lead actress showed more skin, sure, but other than that, wish I had my time back.