Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Night of the Demon" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 1

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-22-15, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Night of the Demon (1980)

Selected by Mondo Kane

IMDB ENTRY

ON YOUTUBE

ON AMAZON

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-30-15, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: "Night of the Demon" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 1

What's going on in that poster?
Old 09-30-15, 06:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 649 Likes on 435 Posts

This is also on Amazon Prime.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/deta...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
Old 09-30-15, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
What's going on in that poster?
I made the mistake of watching the trailer first, and it has a spoiler that reveals what's going on there. It's exactly what you probably think.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Added. And just an FYI - that version does have a slightly shorter running time (1:28:24 vs 1:31:55 on YouTube), so I'm guessing that's not the uncut version?
Old 10-01-15, 02:15 AM

Received 492 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
And just an FYI - that version does have a slightly shorter running time (1:28:24 vs 1:31:55 on YouTube), so I'm guessing that's not the uncut version?
I'm not sure what's up with the runtime difference. But based on the info at movie-censorship.com, it looks like Amazon has the uncut version. I'm watching it right now and the biker scene at 31min is intact.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=329034
Old 10-01-15, 09:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

This is very late 70s, early 80s. Like, wow, that music in the beginning.

I was sort of bored for the first 3 quarters. Everyone died with the weirdest death moans I have ever heard.

That last quarter though, where we get the whole backstory with the girl and her dad, wow. A little expected, but very skin-crawly.
Old 10-01-15, 10:39 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

This turned out to be a very good movie after a slow beginning. Classic 1980 kills, loved the part where the guts or intestines were pulled out and used to whip people. The use of flashbacks within the flashback was interesting. All in all, it had the typical 1980 feel. This is why I watch the subset movies, I would never have picked out this movie but ended up enjoying it.
Old 10-01-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I think I have this DVD at the house, but I'm not entirely sure. Computer crash a few months ago killed my database and i think this is in one of the unwatched boxes.
Old 10-01-15, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Compassion one-liner: "oh, I wonder if she saw her father burn to death..? Oh, it just makes me sick.."

Not bad, not great. The framing acting seemed worse than the story acting.

Last edited by ntnon; 10-01-15 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-01-15, 01:29 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

the scene with the two girl scouts getting pummelled against each other by the bigfoot is worth the price of admission alone
Old 10-01-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Some of the dated music is unintentionally funny with some awesome overacting. The campfire stories segment feels strange and they really threw a lot in with the bigfoot plus a cult.

The first person point of view and cryptic killer (even when shown appearance was often limited) seemed too ripped off from slasher films it was silly. [I kept waiting for the Jason Voorhees sound effect].
Old 10-01-15, 06:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 649 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
This is why I watch the subset movies, I would never have picked out this movie but ended up enjoying it.
Amen.
Originally Posted by numbercrunch
the scene with the two girl scouts getting pummelled against each other by the bigfoot is worth the price of admission alone
My daughter is a Girl Scout; my wife left the room at this scene. I rewound it.
Old 10-01-15, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This turned out to be a pretty good movie, although it started off sorta slow. I thought bigfoot was sorta goofy looking, but he was brutal and relentless which more than made up for it.
Old 10-01-15, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Movie was definitely an example of B movies during that time frame. The acting was bad, and unbelievable. Near the end was the best part, but I'm not going to say it was good. By far if it had been released to theaters today it would have gotten panned big time
Old 10-01-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 3onameathook
Movie was definitely an example of B movies during that time frame. The acting was bad, and unbelievable. Near the end was the best part, but I'm not going to say it was good. By far if it had been released to theaters today it would have gotten panned big time
Exactly! What a big waste of time.
Old 10-02-15, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved it! My son and I were laughing through the whole thing.

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'm not sure what's up with the runtime difference. But based on the info at movie-censorship.com, it looks like Amazon has the uncut version. I'm watching it right now and the biker scene at 31min is intact.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=329034
I started the Amazon one, then switched to the YouTube one 15-minutes in due to some technical difficulties. The YT version had a lot more gore in the beginning (@ 3:11). So I'd assume the Amazon one is cut (@ 3:29). But the Amazon cut looks suspect.

Originally Posted by 3onameathook
I'd say this is the equivalent of a straight to YouTube movie today. I don't think they intended to make a movie that would garner serious theatrical attention.
Old 10-02-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I believe they wanted you to know they were Girl Scouts!

I had a good time with it. The music was killing me for most of the movie. Had far too many great lines, but this one took the cake for me: 'But I'm saving your soul, you ungrateful bi@*h!'

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-02-15 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-02-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

It was a bit odd to have yesterday's Cinemassacre's Monster Madness-video briefly mention this movie. Anyway, as has been mentioned, the conclusion is what I mostly remembered about this movie when I saw it some years back. The bad acting, out-of-order reels (Where did that daytime sleeping-bag kill come from?) funky dialogue and questionable directing is enough to generate some good ol' laughs. But the Wanda/Father flashback sequence really unnerved me. That's the kind of cinematic horror that just creeps me out. Not just it's subject matter, but when you put it on grainy film and set it to some shrieking, muffled soundtrack music, it's bound to to get under my skin.

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
I thought bigfoot was sorta goofy looking, but he was brutal and relentless which more than made up for it.
I thought "Rapist" Bigfoot looked pretty good, but there was a lot of costume-issues going on with "Rampaging" Bigfoot at the end.
Old 10-02-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
It was a bit odd to have yesterday's Cinemassacre's Monster Madness-video briefly mention this movie. Anyway, as has been mentioned, the conclusion is what I mostly remembered about this movie when I saw it some years back. The bad acting, out-of-order reels (Where did that daytime sleeping-bag kill come from?) funky dialogue and questionable directing is enough to generate some good ol' laughs. But the Wanda/Father flashback sequence really unnerved me. That's the kind of cinematic horror that just creeps me out. Not just it's subject matter, but when you put it on grainy film and set it to some shrieking, muffled soundtrack music, it's bound to to get under my skin.

I thought "Rapist" Bigfoot looked pretty good, but there was a lot of costume-issues going on with "Rampaging" Bigfoot at the end.
Great pick Mondo, this is defiantly in my wheelhouse. Also I love Cinemassacre's Monster Madness!

It is weird to be just starting the challenge have already seen 2 dicks get ripped off though...

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-02-15 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-02-15, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
This is very late 70s, early 80s. Like, wow, that music in the beginning.
Even I noticed that... quite proud of myself!

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
That last quarter though, where we get the whole backstory with the girl and her dad, wow. A little expected, but very skin-crawly.
I was quite bemused by the segment where Bigfoot used an ax(e) with surprising skill...
Old 10-03-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts

I'd really like to see a copy of this from a sharp print with an unmuffled soundtrack. The version I watched was from a six-movie collection from Image that was mostly PD films, and the quality was awful.

Does anyone have the Code Red DVD? How does it look and sound? I liked the movie enough that I would consider an upgrade if the Code Red DVD is of substantially better quality.
Old 10-04-15, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts

This was pretty bad, but I had some fun with it, especially at the end. I liked seeing Bigfoot go on a rampage, bad suit and all. I liked how it seemed to be shot in slow motion but all of the audio ran normally.

I have recently gotten in with a movie watching group. They have periodic bad movie nights, and as I've become a bigger part of the group, I'm starting to push to host one of them. Most of my recommendations have roots in challenges past, like Death Bed: The Bed That Eats, Microwave Massacre, The Carrier. This one can be added to that list. I think it would be a lot of fun watching it with a group MST3K style.

And slightly off topic but thinking of The Carrier, I have to give the person who picked it credit. I thoroughly panned it at the time, but it stuck in my mind. I was already thinking of recommending it for a Bad Movie Night, and then I read a great write-up about the movie in Rue Morgue magazine not long ago. It's sealed. That's the first one I'm pushing for. I love those hidden gems, good and bad, that I discover during the challenge.
Old 10-04-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts

Oh, I should mention that I watched this through Amazon and was shocked at how bad it looked. There were even times when there were tracking lines. I had a friend come over while I was watching it, and he even asked if I was watching something on a VCR. Dark scenes made it difficult to discern anything. Not sure if any of the other links are any better, but Amazon's source was very poor.
Old 10-04-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
And slightly off topic but thinking of The Carrier, I have to give the person who picked it credit. I thoroughly panned it at the time, but it stuck in my mind. I was already thinking of recommending it for a Bad Movie Night, and then I read a great write-up about the movie in Rue Morgue magazine not long ago. It's sealed. That's the first one I'm pushing for. I love those hidden gems, good and bad, that I discover during the challenge.
That was me. I've also pushed it onto a few other people at work that like bad movies and they all seemed to enjoy it as well
Old 10-05-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I'd really like to see a copy of this from a sharp print with an unmuffled soundtrack. The version I watched was from a six-movie collection from Image that was mostly PD films, and the quality was awful.

Does anyone have the Code Red DVD? How does it look and sound? I liked the movie enough that I would consider an upgrade if the Code Red DVD is of substantially better quality.
I ended up finding the Code Red DVD at the house. It didn't look very good, but better than I thought it would. Scenes in the 'dark' were just blacked out with dialogue. It had some disclaimer at the beginning which mentioned the damaged print being the best they could do, and hoping it wouldn't detract from the viewers enjoyment. The audio was pretty bad, but I could hear what was being said for most of the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.