Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Arabesque'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-21-11, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Jamie S. Rich's DVD review of Arabesque at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=49084 and...

I could not disagree more with his blunt, unmitigated criticism of this film. I have read a good many reviews of this film over the years, many favorable, others not so much. But never have I come across what can only be interpreted as a personal attack on the movie and everyone or everything associated with it. Here's the reviewer's comment on Sophia Loren: "She's about as graceless here as a ballerina with two broken legs." I'll leave it for readers to ponder that comment and decide how much stock to put in this review.
Old 09-21-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Arabesque'

I, too, completely disagree with Jamie's goofy take on one of my favorite spy spoofs (with the funny, completely edible Sophia Loren), Arabesque; I wrote a rave for it in my review of The Gregory Peck Film Collection from three years ago:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read_...%2Freviews.php

However...in that same review, I also gave the intellectually dishonest To Kill a Mockinbird a relative slam, which is about the only place you're ever gonna read a negative review for a movie most people experience on a level akin to the Second Coming. I still get hate mail for that review.

My point is: it's all subjective. There are no "objective" film reviews, regardless of how many times you'll read that claim. That's how someone as talented as me, and then someone like Jamie, can watch the same movie and same star, and come up with two completely different takes on it. As long as the review itself is well written and argued, it's valid. You may not agree with it, but that's your right.