Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (March 14th) - Laid to Rest

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-07-11, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Laid to Rest (2008)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY LINK

Selected by Chad

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
Bobbi Sue Luther (Night of the Demons 09), Kevin Gage (HEAT), Lena Headey (300,THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES), Johnathon Schaech (QUARANTINE) and Thomas Dekker (THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES) star in the slasher shocker that takes the 'killer-in-a-mask' movie and rips it a whole new future: A young woman (Luther) wakes up inside a locked casket with no memory of who she is or how she got there.
But once she escapes, The Girl will quickly learn that she – and everyone she comes in contact wtih – is being pursued by ChromeSkull, an unstoppable maniac armed with a metal skull mask, a shoulder-mounted video camera, and a ferocious appetite for slaugher.
Sean Whalen (MEN IN BLACK), Lucas Till (HANNAH MONTANA: THE MOVIE) and Richard Lynch (ROB ZOMBIE'S HALLOWEEN) co-star in this unflinching vision of graphic carnage from writer/director/FX master Robert Hall, featuring music by Suicidal Tendencies.

FUN FACTS
Two of the film's stars (Lena Heady and Thomas Dekker) were cast members on the FOX television series "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles".

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

HFC HOME

Old 03-09-11, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 918 Likes on 564 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (March 14th) - Laid to Rest

I was glad to see this chosen as I had recently read an article about it and it's coming sequel in HorrorHound Magazine. Never heard of it before but it sounded interesting.

Well, this movie had a lot going for it. Decent acting, awesome effects, interesting kills, the coolest mask ever since Jason put on a hockey mask...BUT...what a completely lackluster climax and ending. Such a letdown that I had to knock it down from four stars. I can forgive some dumb decisions by the characters (tell me a horror movie where characters make smart decisions) but the "buying the tape at the store" scene until the end was pretty horrible. So disappointing.

But damn...some great gore and actual well done practical effects. This movie had a lot going for it. Here's hoping they make some storyline improvements with the sequel. Still enjoyable despite its many faults.

My rating: ***1/2 out of *****
Old 03-15-11, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought this one was decent for a modern day slasher but that isn't saying much. Its been quite a while since I've seen it (probably a couple weeks after it came out on dvd) and it will be a while (if ever) before I give it another chance. The killer did have a cool look, that much is certain.
Old 03-15-11, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I really liked this... and it is a fresh relief for a DTV movie. Glad it is getting a sequal and waiting to see that for this years horror challenge. As for this movie... the killer himself is awesome.. the way he stalks, the mask, and the car. And the way he dispatches his victims. The Gore in this is awesome... the cut head when the guy is leaning in the var is awesome. It is done well too, and not a shitty CGI gore we are used too.
I do agree the ending is a bit of a let down, as it kind of is rushed. But in the sense, it is a fresh point since the killer doesn't just keep getting up and up and up.

Anyway 7/10
Old 03-17-11, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I've had this one in my too-watch pile forever and remember all the hype it got when it first came out. The gore is top notch and the villian is menacing. Did not disappoint. My biggest problem was with all the hammy acting but even that is a DTV staple. The convenience store scene reminded me a little of Splinter. Note to self, when avoiding menacing killer hide in enclosed space. Seriously, who leaves home without their gun anymore? I'm trying to decide if the letdown ending is suppose to be a tongue-in-cheek joke or if that was suppose to be serious.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 03-17-11 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-17-11, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I like the DTV feel of this movie. Who wants to watch this like it may have been a real piece of cinema?
Let's not kid ourselves here, this is trash. But good trash.
Hammy acting hammy shmacting, it was just right.
The only part I didn't like was the two ravers and the stupid song they were listening to in the car. What the hell was that?

Grade: B-
Old 03-18-11, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i first watched it i enjoyed the gore and kill but was let down. I think bc i forgot it was dtv bc alot of the movie was done so well that the shitty acting bugged me.

chromeskull works bc like jason...like freddy imo hes memorable / marketable (which is where hatchet fell short) so I would def watch a sequal which i believe is on its way.

the only other downside for me and call it the perv inside of me but where was the unneeded nudity slashers are known for?
Old 03-24-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth
where was the unneeded nudity slashers are known for?
Old 03-26-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts

Love this film. Good pacing, great looking villain. Almost Human FX did a great job with all the FX as well. Didn't realize how bad some of Bobbi Sue Luther's lines were until watching it last night.

Originally Posted by terrycloth
the only other downside for me and call it the perv inside of me but where was the unneeded nudity slashers are known for?
A) I believe Robert Hall is married to Bobbi Sue Luther, so there definitely wasn't going to be any nudity from her in this film.

B) There was nudity, just usually accompanied by limbless or headless torsos
Old 03-26-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KgM8l0oPn_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Originally Posted by Darkgod
It is done well too, and not a shitty CGI gore we are used too.
It's not all practical effects, there is CGI mixed in as well. Almost Human FX just did a great job in making sure both didn't look wonky side-by-side.
Old 03-30-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts

I watched this one during the 2009 challenge. It landed on my "Biggest Surprises" list that year. Here's what I wrote then:

Very above-average slasher film! I'm a fan of the slasher film, so it's always nice to find a lesser known gem. The kills were violent and very, very gory. Don't get me wrong, this isn't the greatest slasher ever, but it's a lot of fun. And it's definitely worth seeing for slasher fans. The killer is pretty bad-ass looking and did I mention the gore? There's quite a bit of it. I'm actually surprised that it got by with an R, considering some of the "unrated" films that I've seen. I guess you don't get as much attention when you aren't a big-budget studio film, which just shows how screwed the MPAA is.