Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=46818 and...

At 3 stars, you liked this movie about 300% more than I did, Adam. The only worthwhile aspect I got out of watching this movie was being reminded that I really need to watch Blood Simple again. It just made me sad for Zhang Yimou to sit through some of this sub-Ace Ventura level slapstick.

Glad you pointed out the "searching for the pipe in the desert" scene, which is weirdly smothered in Edge Enhancement, when no other scene in the movie has that problem. Since the movie was photographed digitally, I wonder if that scene was shot in SD and upconverted for some reason?
Old 01-27-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop' (Blu-ray)

This was a tough one to score. As a movie, I don't think much of it at all. Still, I was won over by the manic energy, the general ridiculousness of the premise, and the eye candy...at least for a while. I know the movie wasn't shot chronologically or anything, but it's almost as if you can see Zhang Yimou's enthusiasm evaporate. There stopped being much of anything to distract me, and all I could think was "oh, I remember that scene in Blood Simple".

I meant to rewatch Blood Simple before giving this a whirl, but unlike Let Me In, I just didn't get around to it. I probably would've been harsher if I had.
Old 01-28-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
This was a tough one to score. As a movie, I don't think much of it at all. Still, I was won over by the manic energy, the general ridiculousness of the premise, and the eye candy...at least for a while. I know the movie wasn't shot chronologically or anything, but it's almost as if you can see Zhang Yimou's enthusiasm evaporate. There stopped being much of anything to distract me, and all I could think was "oh, I remember that scene in Blood Simple".
What's funny is that the last half of the movie, where it dispenses with most of the slapstick bullshit and settles into being a straightforward remake of Blood Simple, is really the only part I could tolerate.

The first half of the movie felt like it was directed by Stephen Chow at his laziest, or some imitator. The last half, I could believe was directed by Zhang Yimou. The two parts don't fit together in the slightest.

It sure is pretty to look at, though. I'll even forgive the teal skies (I hate all the teal in modern filmmaking) because it's kind of an arresting visual.
Old 01-28-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Adam, I'm glad you didn't rewatch Blood Simple first. It seems like that would be handicapping your own opinion or something.

While it's impossible to watch a movie without context in mind, it seems to me that if you top-load favored context, then you're robbing yourself of the chance of discovering the remake on its own merits.

I dunno.
Old 01-28-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
While it's impossible to watch a movie without context in mind, it seems to me that if you top-load favored context, then you're robbing yourself of the chance of discovering the remake on its own merits.
I think my experience with Let Me In is proof-positive of that.
Old 01-28-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,229 Posts

On that note, I truly believe that for 90% of the people, the first movie you see will be the one you like best. I saw Ringu before The Ring, and wouldn't you know it, I like Ringu better!