Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Riot (1969)'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of Riot (1969) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=46734 and...
it's funny, but I always liked this movie when I saw the "edited for TV" version during the 70's. I finally got a chance to see the uncut version a few years ago and didn't care for it. I just thought it was too over the top and sleazy. It's one of the few times I preferred a "cut and edited" version of a fim.
Old 01-25-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Riot (1969)'

I'm not sure what version you saw, but I would have loved for Riot to be "too over the top and sleazy."
Old 01-25-11, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chas Speed
I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of Riot (1969) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=46734 and...
it's funny, but I always liked this movie when I saw the "edited for TV" version during the 70's. I finally got a chance to see the uncut version a few years ago and didn't care for it. I just thought it was too over the top and sleazy. It's one of the few times I preferred a "cut and edited" version of a fim.
Even your own stills show what seems to be a shot of the drag queen sequence and another one has someone spitting out a large amount of blood (or red paint). That was the kind of "sleazy" I was talking about, but I haven't seen it in years. I'll have to rent it out again to see if I still think it's a bit too much. It seems like I liked some of the music and that creepy real life warden playing himself.

Last edited by Chas Speed; 01-25-11 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-25-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you think a drag queen and a guy spitting blood is "over the top and sleazy," you need to put down the knitting and party with me, cowboy. I'll show you what's what.
Old 01-26-11, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Mavis
If you think a drag queen and a guy spitting blood is "over the top and sleazy," you need to put down the knitting and party with me, cowboy. I'll show you what's what.
I'll have to wait and see if Netflix ever bothers to rent it out, because I'm not paying for it. I just remember a lot of it seemed gratuitous, but I would have to see it again to give you some better examples. It did seem like the drag queen stuff went on a bit too long, but like I said I really have to take another look at it. I just remember liking the cut version and hating the uncut version. I like the original Last House on the Left and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, so I'm not that easily offended. It's just when it goes on a bit I find it dull and pointless if it slows down the story.