Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Dead Space: Aftermath' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 04:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of Dead Space: Aftermath at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=46308 and... I think this Adam guy is an idiot. Hes not even a fan of the games... of course the review is bad, he has no IDEA whats going on! I love the games, Im a huge fan of dead space. Ya and his pic makes him look like a perv... nice Adam. Go back to watching disney movies, creep.
Old 01-20-11, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Dead Space: Aftermath' (Blu-ray)

Originally Posted by AaronG
of course the review is bad, he has no IDEA whats going on!
First of all, there are two movies in the series. I've watched both, so it's not as if I'm going in completely blind. In any event, a movie ought to stand on its own.

Second...it's not as if I'm confused about what's going on. Having played the games or not has little-to-no bearing on my review. It's just a terrible movie. It's poorly written, awkwardly acted, has embarrassingly shoddy CG animation, clumsily shoehorns in strings of profanity to be as "M FOR MATURE!" as possible, relies far too heavily on stale, generic sci-fi cliches, and very little of interest happens until two-thirds of the way in.

Third, I'm completely upfront about not having played the games. I'm not disparaging the games, and I'm not putting down the people who play them. (Honestly, the original Dead Space was absolutely on my to-play list. I just never got around to it for whatever reason.) I did that as an immediate disclaimer for a reason. If someone wants to get a review from the perspective of another fan, they know to ignore me altogether.

You attack me for not having played the games, but have you actually watched Aftermath or are you blindly defending it? The movie doesn't even come out till next week. There's something a little ridiculous about you screaming "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAMES!" since I can almost certainly justifiably respond "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE MOVIE!"

Go back to watching disney movies, creep.
You do know that I've written hundreds of reviews of other sci-fi, action, and horror flicks, right? I mean, I am kind of the target demographic for a movie about necromorphic-zombie-mutant-monsters slaughtering people in outer space.
Old 01-20-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,835 Likes on 1,230 Posts

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of Dead Space: Aftermath at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=46308 and... I think this Adam guy is an idiot. Hes not even a fan of the games... of course the review is bad, he has no IDEA whats going on! I love the games, Im a huge fan of dead space. Ya and his pic makes him look like a perv... nice Adam. Go back to watching disney movies, creep.
Adam was far too kind in his response to you! I'd say welcome to the forums, but ... you know ...
Old 01-20-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first Dead Space movie was also surprisingly horrible. I thought it'd be a cool tie in, but it was terrible across the board: acting, writing, animation, action. I watched it for free on Instant Netflix and still felt like I'd wasted my money.
Old 01-20-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Hrm. Two horrible animated films and a dreadful XBLA tie-in game. You would almost think all this stuff was merely cheap ploys at marketing the games.
Old 01-20-11, 09:37 PM
Banned

No the movie is made for FANS OF THE GAME douchebucket. And teens like me, not 30 some year old nerds who dont have a career and live in there moms basement. ya gotta play the games to get into it, of course you don't care about the characters. AND ive seen clips on youtube and the animation looks awesome, except for the cg. and who cares. Its damn deadspace! You old creepy nerd.
Old 01-20-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

No the movie is made for FANS OF THE GAME douchebucket. And teens like me, not 30 some year old nerds who dont have a career and live in there moms basement. ya gotta play the games to get into it, of course you don't care about the characters. AND ive seen clips on youtube and the animation looks awesome, except for the cg. and who cares. Its damn deadspace! You old creepy nerd.

Firstly, may I suggest you seek out a classic game called "Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing."

Secondly,

Old 01-20-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

ya gotta play the games to get into it, of course you don't care about the characters.
This is just an example, but I don't have to have seen the Transformers cartoon to know that Transformers is a shitty movie. Writing doesn't have to have context to be bad, and the mere fact that the movie fills in gaps in the game's story doesn't make it good.
AND ive seen clips on youtube and the animation looks awesome, except for the cg.
So, you haven't seen the movie. You really don't see the problem with yelling at Adam for judging the movie without playing the game when you're judging Adam without seeing the movie?
and who cares. Its damn deadspace! You old creepy nerd.
YEAH! SHUT UP ADAM! GO BUY SOME MORE SCOTT PILGRIM T-SHIRTS!
Old 01-20-11, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,835 Likes on 1,230 Posts

You are right, many of us are creepy old nerds, and you know what? Some day you'll be one too! AHHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 01-21-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
The first Dead Space movie was also surprisingly horrible. I thought it'd be a cool tie in, but it was terrible across the board: acting, writing, animation, action. I watched it for free on Instant Netflix and still felt like I'd wasted my money.
I enjoyed the first flick but then again I am a big fan of the Dead Space game and have read the other tie-ins as well.

I pre-ordered Aftermath blind and will get it next week. I am hoping it is not as bad as Adam says and was disappointed in his review but to each his own. One's trash is another man's treasure.
Old 01-21-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

For what it's worth, the review at blu-ray.com is pretty much along the same lines:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dead-S...Blu-ray/17193/

Old 01-21-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Youth is wasted on the young.
Old 01-27-11, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I watched it last night and I think Adam's review is kinda harsh. His complaints about the animation don't really bother me. I am far from an animation connoisseur so I had no problems with any of it. But hey, I watched KISS: Immortals not too long ago and accepted it as well. South Park looks like cardboard cut-outs. It doesn't really matter to me as long as it is effective, which I thought it was if you are a fan of the Dead Space universe.

I am one of those that hasn't gotten enough of the DS world so anything I get, I tend to be happy with. I am not a fan of the artwork in the two comic releases but I enjoyed the storylines. Same here though Adam is correct that it doesn't really delve into the mythology much more than he described in his review. I am not sure if it is by design that they want to be mysterious or if the writers just had a small idea and failed to make it bigger.

I did enjoy the differences in animation and how the memories all had a slightly different style to them. The people look different, the same scenes are a little different, just as how people see things differently. To quote Adam's review: "-- oops! -- mistaking dearly beloved family members for hideously deformed mutants just come across as ridiculous." I personally didn't find that scene ridiculous but more sad and horrible. I do agree that the titties and sex were just thrown in but movies do that all the time, especially in the sci-fi horror genre.

Yeah, there is a lot of talking and not tons of action. But if you are a DS fan and can't get enough of it, then I think you will still enjoy the flick. But if you hated Dead Space: Downfall, then don't even try Aftermath.

My rating: ***1/2 out of *****
Old 01-27-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I personally didn't find that scene ridiculous but more sad and horrible.
The part that bothered me was the complete lack of subtlety. The guy goes into the room where his wife and baby kid are, he sees a mutant woman and a mutant baby, and then wonders what these two creatures did with his wife and child. If his nightmare was that his wife and child had mutated, then that I could get behind. The "where are they!!?!?!" element seems kind of silly to me.
Old 01-27-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"douchebucket"...

Old 01-27-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
The part that bothered me was the complete lack of subtlety. The guy goes into the room where his wife and baby kid are, he sees a mutant woman and a mutant baby, and then wonders what these two creatures did with his wife and child. If his nightmare was that his wife and child had mutated, then that I could get behind. The "where are they!!?!?!" element seems kind of silly to me.
I can see that.

The part that I thought was silly was the whole torture part. It seems everyone was willing to talk (except the black dude and he was just kinda fucked up over the whole daughter & touching the fragment thing) just to get the hell out of there. So what was the torture for? And then after they torture them, the characters just get diarrhea of the mouth with a long, flowing story seeming completely unencumbered by the "their worst fear" torture they just were given. Even the fucked up black dude does the same thing.

I just found that funny how it happened the exact same way with each person.

And yes, I checked the credits to make sure Sean had not come out of retirement to do an exaggerated voice-over for the Captain.
Old 01-28-11, 06:03 AM
Banned

Nice douchebeard! 4 out of 5 stars at Dread Central and it got an 80 for story and video at IGN. ACTUAL BIG SITES ya creep ol nerd. Not a little sight like this one
Old 01-28-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

2 out 3 posts with creative usage of douche in a non-literal sense...I eagerly await what comes next.
Old 01-28-11, 09:40 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goodbye.