Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Strictly Ballroom: Special Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 245 Posts

I read Thomas Spurlin's DVD review of Strictly Ballroom: Special Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=41965 and...

I am happy to see that a significantly cleaned-up version of this movie is now available, but I wonder how it compares to even the version included in the previously-released Baz Luhrman Red Curtain Trilogy boxset? And with Romeo+Juliet and Moulin Rouge both now available on Blu Ray, is jumping on a double-dip now a smart move, considering that this cleanup is probably an indicator that a Blu version of Strictly Ballroom may soon be in the pipeline?
Old 01-03-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Strictly Ballroom: Special Edition'

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I read Thomas Spurlin's DVD review of Strictly Ballroom: Special Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=41965 and...

I am happy to see that a significantly cleaned-up version of this movie is now available, but I wonder how it compares to even the version included in the previously-released Baz Luhrman Red Curtain Trilogy boxset? And with Romeo+Juliet and Moulin Rouge both now available on Blu Ray, is jumping on a double-dip now a smart move, considering that this cleanup is probably an indicator that a Blu version of Strictly Ballroom may soon be in the pipeline?
Strictly Ballroom is/was the only Baz Luhrmann film that I didn't own previously, so I couldn't cobble together any screen comparisons. I'm under the impression, when comparing all the supplemental material, that the DVD in Fox's "Red Curtain Trilogy" boxset is essentially the exact same as the older standalone release from Miramax, so any comments about one should carry over to the other. Whether it'll see a Blu-ray release, however, is very much up in the air since it's a Miramax property. If you give it some time, you should be able to snap up a copy of the new DVD for a relatively inexpensive price (it's $20 list), but bear in mind that the only completely new element is the twenty-minute making-of piece (which is rather good, despite being relatively short).
Old 01-03-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Strictly Ballroom: Special Edition'

The copy in the "Red Curtain Trilogy" set is the old Miramax disc but with cover art to match the box-set scheme; the plain disc art is consistent with old Miramax releases.