Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Tonight - 4 Decades of The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Tonight - 4 Decades of The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson'

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Tonight - 4 Decades of The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=45277 and...

" I assume these are the same shows that were sold into syndication in the early-to-mid 80's and had to fit a half hour time slot. "

Nope. Those shows ('Carson's Comedy Classics') were each compiled from several different episodes per half hour, while the ones on this set are each cut-downs of a single episode each.

(Doesn't make them any better, though).
Old 11-17-10, 11:29 PM

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Tonight - 4 Decades of The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carso

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Tonight - 4 Decades of The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=45277 and...

" I assume these are the same shows that were sold into syndication in the early-to-mid 80's and had to fit a half hour time slot. "

Nope. Those shows ('Carson's Comedy Classics') were each compiled from several different episodes per half hour, while the ones on this set are each cut-downs of a single episode each.

(Doesn't make them any better, though).
I'll never watch this set, but I still got to think it's better then "Carson's Comedy Classics". That has to be one of the worst syndication "packages" of all time. I can't believe they cut out the Amazing Criswell's 1965 New Years Eve predictions. I'm sure there are plenty of Ed Wood fans who would have loved it. He did predict nose rings would become popular in the future, so he wasn't wrong all the time.
Old 11-18-10, 07:53 AM
Defunct Account

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Tonight - 4 Decades of The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carso

Thanks for the info. I've updated my review. I remember watching a couple of the "Carson Comedy Classics" back in the day and getting really irked that they were put together in such a sloppy fashion. I soon stopped watching.

Now I'm wondering why they bothered to edit these shows down the way that they did. It had to be an added expense, why not just put the whole show on the disc? I can see that they'd have to clear music rights, but there are some songs on this collection, and not every show had a musician. It's possible that they wanted to go for a long list of guests... your guess is as good as mine.