Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk Review of All In The Family: Complete Seventh Season

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 11-11-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

I'm curious why the complete Seventh Season of this series continually referred to as "this sixth season" throughout this review (including references to the previous season being the fifth)? It's disconcerting to this potential buyer, and it makes me think there's some background information regarding the numbering of the seasons on DVD that I'm not party to (surely it can't have anything to do with the first season being a shorter one?).

Also, the tone of the review suggests something much less than a "highly recommended", but that's neither here nor there.
Old 11-11-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVD Talk Review of All In The Family: Complete Seventh Season

Originally Posted by Brian T
I'm curious why the complete Seventh Season of this series continually referred to as "this sixth season" throughout this review (including references to the previous season being the fifth)? It's disconcerting to this potential buyer, and it makes me think there's some background information regarding the numbering of the seasons on DVD that I'm not party to (surely it can't have anything to do with the first season being a shorter one?).

Also, the tone of the review suggests something much less than a "highly recommended", but that's neither here nor there.
Sorry -- if I did that, it's probably because I was thinking about the sixth "complete" season, since Season 1 was a mid-season replacement. I'll fix that in the review -- thanks!
Old 11-11-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Should be fixed -- thanks again for the heads-up! (if I missed one, let me know).

As for the "highly recommended," I mentioned in the review that my qualified reservations about this season are in context to what the show used to be. I make it clear that I still think the show in this seventh season was a superior sitcom relative to other shows on at that time.
Old 11-11-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

Thanks for that. Helps in the decision to buy (or not, most likely) when I know for sure that a review such as yours is indeed for the right season!
Old 11-13-10, 11:31 PM

This is a little off topic, but after seeing the two unaired "All in the Family" pilots (from the Norman Lear box set) I can't imagine why they would recast Tim McIntire as the son-in-law in the first pilot and replace him with a lesser actor. I can see why they replaced the actor from the 2nd pilot with Rob Reiner, but I thought McIntire did a fine job and some of Rob Reiner's line readings seem identical.