DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   "The Devil's Backbone" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 26 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/580398-devils-backbone-reviews-discussion-2010-horror-challenge-day-26-a.html)

Chad 10-07-10 08:58 PM

"The Devil's Backbone" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 26

<BR>
The Devil's Backbone (2001)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...lsBackbone.gif

IMDB PAGE

Selected by Numes.

Netflix Streaming Link

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days Subset.

Main Discussion Thread | The List Thread

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Challenge Home

<BR>

Trevor 10-26-10 10:09 PM

Re: "The Devil's Backbone" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 26

Wow, what a great film.

cproaps 10-26-10 10:17 PM

A simple, but effective ghost story that is told with more focus on drama rather than horror. You still experience the atmosphere that Del Toro creates in his other films, but it lacks the elements of the fantastic that he delivers in his more iconic works. I thought the interaction between the ghost and the real world was very unique visually. I was lost on the fact that the ghost continually spooked the other children but couldn't haunt the murderer that was at the school daily.

Shack 10-26-10 11:10 PM

Great movie -- thanks for putting it on the list! I think I had passed on it before because I thought it was just a typical blood/killer movie, and how wrong I was. The film had so many beautiful shots that added so much to the spooky mood. I found myself going back to look at them again and appreciate the cinematography. It's really hard to tie a scary movie to the frightening things that happen in real life on a larger scale, but Del Toro does it very successfully here.

And it may be sacrilege to say, but although I liked Pan's Labyrinth, I think I liked this one more.

rbrown498 10-27-10 12:44 AM

Beautifully-shot ghost story from Guillermo del Toro won me over in its first few shots, when we're introduced to the new kid at the school, Carlos. The actor that plays Carlos has one of those faces that I immediately related to; he didn't seem like a kid acting in a movie, he seemed REAL. I guess because I related to the character so quickly, I was all in from the get-go. For me, the most interesting thing in the movie was how the ghost was shown. I was fascinated by the blood that kept flowing out of his wound into the air around him, but looking like what (I imagine) blood flowing from an underwater wound would look like. It sort of floated out and dispersed into thin air. The film's villain was completely despicable, which made it doubly satisfying when he got his comeuppance. A good, solid film that builds its scares around the living, not the dead.

Numes 10-27-10 05:45 AM

Glad everyone is enjoying it so far. I was not available last night to watch it (it's been a couple years since I have seen it.) I will hopefully get to that tonight.

For the commentary buffs out there, like myself, the original release has a del Toro solo commentary and the release available now has the del Toro/Navarro commentary. Guillermo del Toro even mentions the original commentary in the newer commentary and how completists will want to own both versions because he focuses on completely different aspects of the movie in each commentary. The original release is OOP. I have not listened to the original yet, and so I found a seller on Amazon that was selling it for like $2, but then they discovered that there was "no stock of that item." :( I was really hoping to listen to that for this challenge.

Next year I will be suggesting Cronos, an earlier title from del Toro. Criterion has announced they are releasing it, so that should be a real exciting title for next year (it may be my dual Criterion/Horror Movie Challenge title next year.)

Dick Laurent 11-01-10 02:37 AM

I liked this a lot. Talk about atmosphere!