DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   "The Seventh Victim" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 21 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/580393-seventh-victim-reviews-discussion-2010-horror-challenge-day-21-a.html)

Chad 10-07-10 08:47 PM

"The Seventh Victim" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 21

<BR>
The Seventh Victim (1943)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...enthVictim.jpg

IMDB PAGE

Selected by NoirFan.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days Subset.

Main Discussion Thread | The List Thread

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Challenge Home

<BR>

Trevor 10-21-10 10:17 AM

Re: "The Seventh Victim" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 21

Best film I've seen this month. Wonderfully dark with great lighting and framing. The suspense is felt throughout, and the influence this has on later, more well-known films is obvious.

Fantastic film. Thanks NoirFan!

onebyone 10-21-10 10:40 AM

When I first saw this movie, it totally blew me away. When I rewatch it, it still never fails to impress. It's so well done, dark and way ahead of its time. As Trevor said above, you can also see direct influences from this to many other films that came after.

This is definitely one of my all time best surprises.

cproaps 10-21-10 11:16 PM

Wow, Kim Hunter TWENTY FIVE years before Planet of the Apes. That was my favorite part of the film. I also liked the lighting, which guided the viewer into the back alleys where the cult was hiding. The cult itself is probably my least favorite part, seeing as how they are probably the least menacing devil worshipers I have ever seen. I think they were toned down because of the "witch hunt" that had been going on over the censorship of motion pictures throughout the 30's. Regardless, this was a solid film that certainly influenced the industry later. Just look to the shower scene for proof.

rbrown498 10-21-10 11:43 PM

Val Lewton's darkest, most pessimistic film is sort of like the cinematic equivalent of Billie Holiday's "Gloomy Sunday," in that it has about it an unrelenting feeling of doom. Even Hugh Beaumont, Ward Cleaver from TV's "Leave It to Beaver," seems weighed down by the oppressive atmosphere. And what a nihlistic ending! Although it's not my favorite Lewton film, it's probably the most effective of the bunch. Not the kind of film you need to watch if you're taking antidepressants.

Shack 10-22-10 05:27 PM

Thanks, Noirfan, for putting this on the list. I agree that it's the least scary cult ever, but still a genuinely creepy film, with tight storytelling and great performances. What I really liked was that (unlike many films of the era) I had absolutely no idea how it was going to end.

Spiderbite 10-05-23 09:35 AM

I watched this movie this morning and had never seen it before.

Like the comments above, the atmosphere of the movie is great, but I found the overall storytelling convoluted and the tacked on, rapid speed love story silly.

The acting is solid and I enjoyed seeing Hugh Beaumont (one of the best three TV Dads ever) unexpectedly show up playing, of all things, a character with the last name of "Ward" 14 years earlier!

The slap you in the face Christian response to the Devil cult" stops the movie in its tracks. And a lot of the back and forth finding Jacqueline when people wouldn't ask obvious questions got tedious.

This movie is all atmosphere....which is why I give it **1/2 out of *****.