Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Mothers-in-Law: The Complete Series'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-05-10, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of The Mothers-in-Law: The Complete Series at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=43736 and...I also remember seeing it in the afternoon. I'm pretty sure the local NBC station ran it on weekend afternoons in the early '70s. I have only very vague memories...I would've sworn that Arden's husband was played by Raymond Bailey, whom Rudley does resemble somewhat. But even as a kid I realized that the dope who played the son was way too old.

Concerning Roger C. Carmel, while you're certainly right that he's best remembered as Harry Mudd he was also one of those actors that you absolutely could not get away from on '60s network TV. Like Bill Schallert and William Windom, it seemed like producers felt legally obligated to have him as a guest star. And I never knew how to pronounce his name, CARmel or CarMEL?
Old 08-05-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: DVD Talk review of 'The Mothers-in-Law: The Complete Series'

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that (I think I caught it on the old WWJ-TV Channel 4 out of Detroit...). Interesting that it would make it to syndication with a relatively low episode count (although not unheard of), and low initial ratings.

As for "CARmel" or CarMEL," from what I've read, you could call him "Doris" for all he cared as long as you had a frisco special or dusty road to share with him.
Old 08-06-10, 07:12 AM

Great review Paul! I completely agree with you on all points as well, especially the joy of watching Arden and her great delivery of lines. The extras are what make this set (that "Land's End" pilot was something else). The one other big plus you didn't mention was the price for this yet. I picked it up on the street date from Amazon for a mere $19.99. So as you said, not only would it be great if others treated vintage series this way, but they could take a page from MPI's book and charge this sort of reasonable price as well. 56 episodes on 8 discs with tons of extras never before seen for $19.99??? I'm there !!!
Old 08-06-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks -- glad you liked it!

You're right: I should have mentioned that price. It's ridiculously low for what you get. A lot of that largesse with the extras no doubt has to do with all the archived stuff from Desilu, too, I would imagine--very cool.
Old 08-10-10, 11:34 AM
Cool New Member

What a wonderful, accurate and well written review. It is so refreshing to read a review that provides accurate information and descriptions about the show and the characters that are dead on. I have read reviews mentioning that the female characters barely tolerate each other and this show is nothing more than people with hair curlers screaming at each other. ???

I agree also that it was unfortunate, the level of manic comedy did level off as the show progressed. Still this is one of my favorite shows of all time. It has a certain charm to it.

The Mothers in Law was syndicated after the show's initial run. It was on in the evenings initially, and then it ran for many years in the afternoons in Philadelphia. (plus all over the country) I caught the reruns in the late seventies and have loved it ever since. I was too young to enjoy the show when it was on NBC.

Thanks also for providing the show logo. It's the best reproduction I have ever seen online. I love the artistic design that borders the show title.

I think also that the sales for this set went through the roof. It was as high as #40 (it may have gone higher) for Amazon's DVD sales based on all DVD categories. What a feat for a show that is over 40 years old and is at least somewhat forgotten. MPI did a great job with this set and the price was fantastic! Other DVD distributors, please take note!
Thanks for the good read, I enjoyed the review.
Old 08-10-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How nice -- thank you!
Old 08-20-10, 05:39 PM
Banned

Loved this show when It was on. Definately Funny!
Old 08-20-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still is! You'll enjoy the set.